Jetfire france

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    pere
    Participant

and is it possible to reassemble a turbo on this engine?

jensenracing77
    Participant

Just have to gather all the parts but you can for sure convert it back to turbo. Hopefully the other engine is the turbo engine. You may have some of the parts to convert it back if you got parts with it. The exhaust manifolds, fluid tank, air cleaner, valve covers, and turbo system can be located if you don’t have them. I have not got a quote yet for the intake. I do have a turbo exhaust manifold if you find you need one.
    Eric

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Pere,
    The simple answer is yes. You could replace the 4 barrel carburetor system with a turbocharged intake and induction system. As Eric stated, it would require all the parts unique to a Jetfire engine to be found and installed. Not being sure of your intentions, you have all of these parts on your Jetfire engine on the white car and could remove and use those parts.
    The Jetfire engine block has longer bolts (stronger) used for the main shaft bearing caps to hold the crankshaft in place stronger connection rods and different pistons to achieve higher compression ratio of 10.25 to 1 for an automatic transmission set up and 10.75 to 1 for a 4-speed manual transmission set up and special bearings. The heads (T) for a Jetfire are different with aluminized valves and a smaller dome cavity size to increase the compression ratio. This all adds up to a stronger engine to handle the 6-1/2# to 8# boost added by the turbocharger.
    If you really wanted to just add the parts to your 1961 F-85 (not Cutlass) engine installed in this 1962 red Jetfire body, they will all fit and work. You would be sacrificing some ultimate power and engine strength offered by the Jetfire engine, but it would work/run. It would just be not as offered by Oldsmobile.
    Jim

pere
    Participant

ok the best would be to find another jetfire engine. for the red because the white and all original and we want to reassemble it as original

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Pere,
    I would agree that that is the best answer.

pere
    Participant

hello the numbers of the other engine

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Looks like that one is not a Jetfire engine either. You may post a picture of all the parts. Maybe we could point out some Jetfire specific parts if there are any? I guess you may already know what you are looking for since you have another Jetfire.

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Pere,
    Sad to report, like Eric said, this engine has heads from a 1962 two barrel carburetor, low compression, plain F-85 engine, not a Cutlass or Jetfire. I don’t believe the block is Jetfire either. Is this the extra engine you bought with the red Jetfire or the engine in the white Jetfire?
    Jim

pere
    Participant

no this is an engine that I recovered with the red car

pere
    Participant

on the white I never looked at the numbers I have to look

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum