Jetfire Heater Hoses

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Jetfire Heater Hoses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    JimNoel
    Participant

I have found replacement heater hoses for the Jetfires. Both are current Gates pre-molded hoses and are very close to the originals. Both should be useable with some trimming.
    The lower “S” shape is Gates #19604 and the upper “J” shape is Gates #21860.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Thanks Jim. The “S” shaped hose looks the same as my Cutlass’s hose that goes to the intake manifold. I assume it is the same. The other hose must be specific to the Jetfire.

Have you been driving the red Jetfire you acquired a while back?

JimNoel
    Participant

Yes, the upper “J” shaped hose is specific to Jetfire.
    Naw, it is a little rough right now. Maybe next spring. She is getting a full make over.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Now that’s a clever towing setup / front end support! Good luck with the make over.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Great news Jim! I am just now getting our Jetfire back on the road Saturday. I planed to get my radiator hoses on and I may just update my heater hoses at the same time.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks Jim, I just posted looking for these hoses and thought I’d take a look back at old posts and it paid off! In stock at my local parts store and I wiil pick these up.

The Jetfire we have has the orig front to back heater transfer pipe. The Cutlass has no pipe and I was thinking that the heater transfer pipe that runs along the head rotted out and was replaced by a full length hose on the Cutlass. But was the Jetfire the only model with the pipe?

jensenracing77
    Participant

I

[quote quote=11860]Thanks Jim, I just posted looking for these hoses and thought I’d take a look back at old posts and it paid off! In stock at my local parts store and I wiil pick these up.

The Jetfire we have has the orig front to back heater transfer pipe. The Cutlass has no pipe and I was thinking that the heater transfer pipe that runs along the head rotted out and was replaced by a full length hose on the Cutlass. But was the Jetfire the only model with the pipe?

[/quote]

I thought that pipe was Jetfire only? I am sure Jim can confirm if that is correct. I have an extra that I may be able to sell. I have to be sure the one on our 4 speed car is good before I let go of it.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks. Yes, interested to know if the Cutlass one is missing or was never there at all.

If you don’t need the jetfire spare transfer pipe, we are interested in buying one in good shape. Gotta clean up the one we have but I think it has significant corrosion. Please let me know what you find.

JimNoel
    Participant

The Jetfire was the only model/engine that used a metal pipe to carry the heater coolant return along the right valley of the head and intake manifold. The metal pipe on the Jetfire engine has a small, short nipple at the firewall side of the pipe for the coolant from the turbo compressor housing and throttle body to be returned to the water pump with the heater coolant. All non-turbo engines used a long rubber hose to return the heater coolant. See picture 15-108 on page 15-106 of the 1963 Service Manual.
    The 1963 Oldsmobile Service Manual should be “required” for all 1961 to 1963 F-85 owners.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks Jim, appreciate the clarification and the ID of heater hoses we can use for the Jetfire we are working on, and the Cutlass convertible. Now I know why the Cutlass pipe was “missing”.

I think I’ll pick up both hoses for both cars and put a simple front to back pipe on the Cutlass too since there’s no side nipple to complicate it, just seems better than a long hose sitting on top of the head and intake.

I guess I missed the images or forgot to check the 63 manual, we have the 62 and 63 manual along with the Jetfire supplement and I agree, they are a required Item.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum