Jetfire radiator hoses

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Jetfire radiator hoses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

what are you guys using for radiator hoses? mostly the upper hose. the one on my car is new but don’t fit exactly right. the last owner just sized it up with what he could find to work. he done a good job and it looks Ok but i would like to find something even closer if i can. i don’t want the flex fit hoses.

jensenracing77
    Participant

anyone?

macf85
    Participant

I have a Cutlass with air conditioning which uses a cross-flow style radiator like the Jetfire. I have been able to find the lower hose in a molded style on EBAY. I have been trying to find a molded style upper hose for several years now. I took my old molded upper hose to a couple of auto parts stores, who will take the time to try and find a hose for another application that might be close, and had no luck. I decided to keep the old hose because it looks correct. I kept a universal type flex hose in the trunk in case of emergency. Well, it finally blew out a couple of weeks ago and I’m now stuck with using the flex type hose.

If you find a substitute that looks like a correct original please let everyone know. I’m sure there are other owners who want to keep their cars correct in appearance.

jensenracing77
    Participant

thanks, the owner before me matched up the upper hose fairly well but i have no idea what it was from. i will live with it till i find something better.

62oldsf85
    Participant

I took my original one (which was really bad) to a NAPA store and had them match it as closely as they could to something they kept in stock. They matched the shape to a Ford hose (I think)that I had to cut on one end to work, but it’s been no problem since I did it. I’m away right now, but will look up the part number when I get back.

62oldsf85
    Participant

The NAPA part number is 8349. It’ll look funny because one end has a bigger coupling, this is the end I cut off. It works just fine for a year now and looks correct. Because it’s not a direct fit, you get a little bit of flexing where it makes that turn back to the manifold outlet, so make sure you leave enough slack so it doesn’t kink. I’ll try and post a pic soon.

macf85
    Participant

Thanks. I bought one from NAPA today. Looks like it will work well. I’d like to see the pic of your installation.

macf85
    Participant

I installed the NAPA 8349 top hose today. I left the larger diameter end uncut at the radiator side and just cinched the clamp down tight enough to make a good seal. On the intake manifold side I cut about 3″ off the end. This hose fits pretty good for an adapted part and looks correct unlike the universal accordian type hose I had on there.

Hose 1

Hose 2

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

looks great. that looks better than mine does so i will be picking up one of them this week. what are you guys running for thermostat temperature?

macf85
    Participant

I’m running 195 degrees.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum