Jetfire rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    oaklyss
    Participant
    Progressing on the rebuild project. Jim is restoring the turbo. Came out easy from under the car! Still need a Rocket Fluid tank. Car still has bias-ply white walls.
    Jetfire Rebuild 1_opt
    Jetfire Rebuild 2_opt
    Jetfire Rebuild 3_opt
    Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Subframe is done. trying to choose which cam to use-stock or D&D street strip
    Jetfire Rebuild 4_opt

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Looking good! Keep the photos coming.

62turbojet
    Participant

Wow this is great! I remember seeing this car for sale on craigslist. I would have bought it if I didnt already have one Keep the pics coming

oaklyss
    Participant

While cleaning off the Generator brackets, I found that they are chrome or nickle plated! is this the way they come from the factory?

Jetfire Rebuild 5_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 6_opt

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

If you keep the automatic I would go with the stock cam. These engines in stock form are more than these transmissions want. I went with a stock cam and it still pulls nice when you step on it.

Looks like a great start.

oaklyss
    Participant

I will go with the stock cam, probably better for the Turbo also. Here is the original fan and fan clutch. Clutch has 2200 stamped an it and a date code in ink (can’t make it out). Still waiting for the machine shop for the motor. Had to bore .030″ over. Trans is cleaned up, it was painted blue, so I think it had been rebuilt at some time. Car has 63,000 miles on it.

Jetfire Rebuild 7_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 8_opt

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Motor is almost out of the machine shop and will be ready for me to assemble this weekend. In the meantime, I went ahead and detailed under the hood. I ordered a couple spray cans from TCP made to the factory color Cirrus Blue. I left all the yellow inspection stamps intact. The undercoating in the trans tunnel has more on the left side. Maybe for the turbo pipe heat.
    I can not figure out the battery hold down system. It only has lugs on one side of the tray. Anybody?

Jetfire Rebuild 9_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 10_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 11_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 12_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 13_opt

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Got the block back, but still waiting for parts. Bored .030″ over due to scratches, had to deck due to some minor corrosion, but the block numbers were deep enough to stay.

Jetfire Rebuild 14_opt

Jetfire Rebuild 15_opt

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Since I was missing the spare Turbo Rocket Fluid bottle, I made one. I just need a label now:
    Jetfire Rebuild 16_opt

the lid is from a large size model paint jar, the bottle is pretty close and came from here:
    Jetfire Rebuild 17_opt

compare:
    Jetfire Rebuild 18_opt

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum