Jetfire rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    JimNoel
    Participant

The long delay is almost over! Re-coat of the turbine housing and by-pass cover is done. Should have a complete 1962 induction system back to Greg soon. Another Jetfire turborocket back to life!

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just found this. Maybe the guy would sell just the vent tube?

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4268329716.html

oaklyss
    Participant

Thanks Jensen, but I found a vent on Ebay and installed it. Just lucky I guess.

Got The Turbo from Jim today! I have most of it hooked up. Tomorrow I will finish the connections and the exhaust system, fill the fluids, and maybe start it up this weekend. I am using braided lines for the fuel and oil feed, just easier for now.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

The JetFire Lives! After breaking in the cam, I acually drove the car today. It really moves! I would like to thank everyone here who helped me with parts and information. And, of course, Jim Noel, who has saved these cars from extinction. Jim, I have had these hose clamp pliers for 40 years, and don’t know where I got them. I will keep updating as I find out more about tuning this car.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

I just installed the Noel exhaust tips. Looks great. The Waldron exhaust system fits real good. The only thing I don’t like is the flange for the turbo mount. I had to put longer studs in the turbo outlet for the flange to fit. Or I could of ground out the inside diameter of the flange, but it was too much work. Not the correct looking flange.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

You have completed a great looking assembly job. Everything under the hood looks perfect! The exhaust tips add the final touch! Very nice work, glad to hear she is out and running.
    The turbo exhaust flange is not like the original, but looks like it will work fine with longer studs. The flange must be put on the pipe before the two ends are flared, hard to change now.
    Good Job Greg!
    Jim

Attachments:
    hausdok
    Participant

I’m guessing that the Jetfire fluid is no longer available commercially anywhere. Does anyone know the formula/proportions of distilled water/methanol/corrosion inhibitor that are used for the fluid?

Mike O’Handley, Seattle

JimNoel
    Participant

I have posted an article that covers this subject on this website. Jim Perkins has just added additional information on the make up of the Turbo Rocket Fluid for the shade tree mechanic/chemist. It is easy to make, cheap and works well. Follow this link to the article.
    http://oldsjetfire.com/jetfire-turbo-rocket-fluid/
    Jim

oaklyss
    Participant

What I have found is that Methanol in windshield washer fluid is illegal in California. So far, I have just used Heet and Distilled water, with Prestone Anti-Rust. the Prestone gives the fluid the milky white look like the original Oldsmobile fluid.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Congratulations! Looks like you do great work. Wishing you lots of fun with your running Jetfire.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum