Larger front sway bar?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Larger front sway bar?

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Summit shows an application for the 62 Cutlass, #936. Picture is “not representative”. I think that’s where I got it and if memory serves that is the number. I looked for my receipt but can’t find it. I would think a skylark or special application would fit but can’t see how a tempest application would fit as it has a transaxle-completely different.

Modifying the plate is not a big deal. I had AADCO do it N/C as I told them their plate was incorrect but it would have been easier to do it myself-took forever. Just use the control arm and the supplied plate for your design.

As I mentioned above I also boxed to control arm which I would recommend.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Oops, some of that already covered.

dr-jet
    Participant

Installed the Addco 936 kit last night, really wasn’t a problem. Used the an existing hole behind the parking brake cable, little bigger than 3/8, to mock it up on the car. Then drilled one hole for the front part of the bracket to fully mount the bar. Once the front hole is located and drilled…..everything tightened up with no binding. Really went easier than I expected!!
    But, as mentioned before, its not the prettiest thing!!
    And, Future boxing of the control arm and reinforcing of the drilled and original holes looks like the right road to go down. This would also eliminate the look hardware sticking down.

I will try and post pictures and how it drives in the future!!
    Also checked, I have the biggest front bar out there, 15/16 on my 63 Jetfire. Put an email in to Addco with measured specs of the front bar to see if they have a “suitable already made replacement that could work”.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Have you tried it out with your existing front bar? Might work good. Over/understeer will be the key.

You used the supplied square mounting plate?

dr-jet
    Participant

62cutlassconver

Installed with supplied hardware and plates and worked great. Had a friend help hold up one side while i started all the bolts and loosely line up everything, was easier than it seemed. Plates covered all the way across with little over hang, exposed bolts and nuts is really the only seen and unsightly part. I forgot to take pictures before I put the car on the ground, but I will take some soon. Had the driveshaft rebuilt but I think it needs another balance because the vibration started immediately and barely could take it over 50 before it got bad.
    But….
    I took her for a ride last night, drove like a whole new car!! No need for the bigger front bar but I bet it would only help it all out more with a bigger front bar. I would say, if you drive your car….. it is a must have install.

graytoad
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Ken. I kind of decided to not spend any more ‘unnecessary’ money until I have this car on the road….but now I know it works fine, there is no point in letting my Summit bucks expire! We were certainly pleased with the rear Aadco sway bar we put on the 65 Riviera! Any pictures you have of the install will be appreciated!

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Gotta be careful with sway bars. Too much on one end or the other can radically upset your over/under steer condition. Too big a bar can all of a sudden mean you go into too much oversteer up front and promote rear end break away in a corner when you least expect it. Or vice versa. Go into a corner hot, turn in and here comes the rear end fast!
    Best to experiment in a nice open paved area to see what you have before changing to bigger, not necessarily better.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum