Looking for '62 INBOARD taillight housing

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Looking for '62 INBOARD taillight housing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BruceM
    Participant

Hi Guys, I’m trying to find a pair of NOS ’62 inboard taillight housings. These seem a bit difficult to find. The outboard ones (Part No. 5951788) are rather plentiful and I have a few of those NOS. The inboard ones are different in that the hole in the back is smaller (no notch in it either). The part number is either 926110 or 5952938. Looks like there was a part number update, or the 926110 number is for the housing only and the 5952938 number is for the assembly with the housing and lens. Or vice versa. Anyway, if any of you have one or a pair of these you’d like to sell, please let me know. Thanks very much for your help.

Bruce

jensenracing77
    Participant

I wish I had a set for you but those are rare as hens teeth. I have 4 of the outboards and plan to take on a project at some point to modify them to an inboard. I want to think that I could make an adapter bushing of some kind. It’s either that or I will have to get all 4 used ones rechromed. I hate to use two NOS and two rechromed because I would have to repaint the painted areas of the NOS ones so they would match the others. I am looking for the 579445 left side tail light bezel. I have two rights and one left. I want to put a set on both cars.

BruceM
    Participant

I may have to get a couple used ones re-plated and then try to match the silver/gray paint. I don’t think the paint should be very hard to match the color.

jensenracing77
    Participant

If you are able to match it really well let me know. I have not held them next to each other but I wonder if it is the same color as the headlight housings painted area? I had an NOS 70 442 grill for one side and a used for the other and had to paint the NOS grill because I could never get it matched perfect. Sure made me sick painting an NOS grill.

BruceM
    Participant

Do you have a referral for a company that can repair and replate the diecast housings? I know of a company here in Utah, but wow, they are way expensive. Maybe they all are. I don’t mind shipping them somewhere if I can get quality work done for a reasonable price. Let me know if you know of anyone.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Chrome and reasonable price never go together from my experience. I paid $300 to have one Jetfire emblem restored and I was not happy with it when I got it back. I used a place in Indianapolis for my 70 W-30. They done outstanding work but he is excessively slow and has been known to loose people parts. Took over a year to get my parts back. I don’t really recommend them because of these things but if you want to try I can dig out their contact information.

If you can find NOS then it is most often cheaper than getting something re-chromed. Just can’t find some stuff NOS.

Maybe someone else has a good chrome shop they can recommend.

macf85
    Participant

I had one of my emblems restored by Iverson Automotive and he did a great job fixing the pits and re-chroming it. His shop is in Minnetonka, Minnesota. I did the painted parts of it myself. I shopped around and they were the least expensive, Paul’s Chrome was the most expensive at a little over 3 times the cost of Iverson. I got pricing from 3 others that were in the middle. If you email good photos to these companies they’ll give you a rough estimate but you’ll need to send the part to them for examination to get a true cost. It’s a little nerve racking hoping the part doesn’t get lost or damaged especially for parts that are hard to come by. Here’s a link to Iverson’s website if you’re interested:
    http://iversonautomotive.com/Services/Types/Potmetal
    This is from a previous post

BruceM
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I’ll look into Iverson.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I was looking at this today. I believe it is going to be very simple to modify an outboard side. I am taking some used parts to work tomorrow and try it on lunch. May not be something you want to do for your car but it is the way I am going on my 4 speed car till I find a couple NOS inboard housings. I will post some pictures tomorrow night if I get time to do it tomorrow on lunch.

jensenracing77
    Participant

If you have extra outboard housings this is not to hard to do. I first cut the back off of a used inboard and then used a grinder to the outside edge till it fit inside the other. The original hole is offset and I am not sure why that is? I also got a thin fender washer that fit inside the housing with a 1/4 ID hole. I used a hole saw in a drill press and cut the hole in the washer. Using the washer, the hole will be centered instead of offset like original. I am unsure if I will use the original offset back or the washer but either way, I will have to file the hole on the back of the outboard housing larger so that the head of the socket will fit. It will look better with this washer on the inside of the housing but if you bonded it to the outside you would not need to file the hole in the housing. With the washer on the inside of the housing I do not think anyone could ever tell after installed. This method will set the bulb 1/16 inch closer to the lens but I sure can’t see that hurting anything.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum