Member: JetfireGuy

XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog New Toy for Jim

New Toy for Jim

This topic contains 61 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  macf85 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • Author

JimNoel
    Participant

Here are a few of pics while still in CA, Nov of 2012.

front

Left side

Right side

rear view

Attachments:

JimNoel
    Participant

The turborocket induction system comes off.

IMG_3784

IMG_3789

IMG_3781

IMG_3783

Attachments:

JimNoel
    Participant

Have installed new 45FF plugs, new plug wires, new battery cables, restored a faulty fluid holding tank, added rebuilt tank cap, rebuilt fluid level sensor system and new fluid filter. Complete rebuild of total turbo system and getting close to the first start up for me. Should have all together this next week.

IMG_3799

IMG_3800

IMG_3798

Attachments:

JimNoel
    Participant

A couple more of the delivery day………

IMG_1184

IMG_1188

Attachments:

62turbojet
    Participant

Love the car, it’s almost like i’ve seen it before. You went through that turbo pretty quick, looks great! Did you end up re doing the porcelain coating on the turbine or did it clean up? Do they reproduce the fluid filters?

JimNoel
    Participant

Well, I have ’62 & ’63 set-ups already rebuilt, ready for someone who might have wanted a quick turn around. For this car, I did take the turbine and by-pass housings, clean them up (were in great condition)and couple them up to the ready to go throttle body, carb, fuel filter and metering valve system. Also had a reconditioned air cleaner ready to go. So as you say, the timeline is quite short for this pictured system.
    Yes, the fluid injection system filter can still be found. It is the ‘old style’ AC Delco GF61. They are on eBay from time to time for $20 to $60, depending on what the seller says it might fit. When they say ’57-’62 Corvette, the price is high, but they are all the same filter!
    Jim

macf85
    Participant

Jim, what are your plans for the rest of the car and the engine? Based on the photos it looks like a great survivor.

jensenracing77
    Participant

looks great! I love the color. I just picked up an extra GF61 on eBay for $8.99. keep watching and you can pick them up for good prices at times. I just found another good item on eBay that is listed in the wrong place. I will tell what it is after i win it 😀

Jim, do you have any extra molded hoses that go to the back of the air cleaner? mine is not that nice.

JimNoel
    Participant

Here are some interior and trunk pics. As for resto plans, I have not decided. I want to get the car running first then make a decission on what is next. Even though the car is complete, it will still take a lot of work to be a good looking driver. Full resto, well you all know how much work & $’s that is!

You can see from the pic of the turbo unit, off the car and upside down, that it did have a small fire when the last owner tried to “fire it up” (no pun intended) last fall. That is why I have not attempted to run until a new/rebuilt top end is installed. I’ll keep you posted on the progress……….

PB230057

PB230066

PB230049

PB230056

Attachments:

JimNoel
    Participant

I have cleaned the engine compartment as good as possible, in my garage, while it is below 0 outside. Now ready to reassemble the turbo system and replace any questionable hoses and wireing in the process.

IMG_3811

IMG_3808

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

No topics found

Recently Active

Profile picture of Ken Dennison
Profile picture of john-sage
Profile picture of young-olds
Profile picture of mikepoe59
Profile picture of Greg Oakley
Profile picture of Clint
Profile picture of scott
Profile picture of twobolts
Profile picture of Nicolas
Profile picture of jensenracing77