New Toy for Jim

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    johnsage
    Participant

Jim restored one for me, and I have to admit, I DID have it in my living room for quite a while. It was a big hit.

JimNoel
    Participant

The customer turbo unit rebuild is now complete. I will start again on “my new toy” soon.

IMG_3912

IMG_3915

IMG_3917

IMG_3921

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Well gang, it has been a while since I posted about my new toy. Once I got her running I learned that she is a real oil burner! On hard acceleration it is just like the car in “James Bond”, will smoke out any one following me! Pulled the plugs and ran a compression test. A low of 156 and a high of 240 psig. It will have to be rebuilt! At least, bad cam and oil rings, but do it all while it is out. Will have auto trans rebuilt too.
    Have pulled interior and I am waiting for a NOS gray Jetfire carpet set. Need to do air intake/ kick panels and lower door cards too, all carpeted areas.
    Both front window lower sash brackets are rusted out, replacing with repro’s from Steele. Also replacing the beltline window inside fuzz and outside rubber wiper as well as both wing vent mounting seals.
    Lots to do!!

JimNoel
    Participant

Well, it is time for a few updates. My new toy project has been going somewhat slow but should start picking up speed. I now have all components ready for reassembly. The front frame/engine cradle is refurbished.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Here the engine is attached through the motor mounts and all except the power steering pump connected.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

The body is painted, back home and ready to detail with all the unique Jetfire trim!

Attachments:
    62turbojet
    Participant

Looks great as always. What do you do to restore the cast aluminum heads, block and intake? do you do some type of walnut blasting to get that luster or paint them?

macf85
    Participant

Looks great Jim. Can’t wait to see the rest of the build.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Looks great!

JimNoel
    Participant

Engine clean up/restoration for this car was a water based chemical wash in a commercial parts washer. The heads and block cleaned up without any stain marks or discoloration. I was surprised on how good they came out of the wash cycle too. The intake manifold was painted after clean up.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum