newby with a Jetfire & power brake question

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts newby with a Jetfire & power brake question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i just picked up a 62 Jetfire yesterday. it was registered here under Todd Houseman. i love the car and will post some pictures when i can. i was wondering about the Power brakes? they are not working but i have vacuum at the bellows under the dash. is this something i can rebuild or any recommendations?
    thanks for your help.

jensenracing77
    Participant

if anyone else ever needs this info.. i found out that you can get the bellows style booster rebuilt with this guy. they are $155 to rebuild.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

jensenracing77
    Participant

i am not convinced that i have a power booster problem. i have vacuum at the booster like i should and the check valve is working. i am wondering if there is a bracket that is to push on the yellow button (see picture) when you hit the brakes. does anyone have a picture of this area with power brakes that work?
    jetfire 6

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i think i have answered my own question, i went out to look and see if there was a bracket or something like i mentioned above. well i think i figured it out. when i took it apart i think the button was not getting pushed by the little tab on the brake pedal. i am going to put it back together tomorrow night and see if i can make sure it is hooked up like i think it is supposed to be or if i can adjust something to let it push that button. i looked in the 63 assembly manual that wild about cars has posted but i can’t see good enough in the pictures.
    jetfire 7

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i got the power system figured out and adjusted properly. it just takes a little looking and understanding the system. none of the power brake setup is covered in the CSM. while fixing this i found a real small drip of fluid on the back side of the master cylinder. i took it out to rebuild it but there is pitting in the bore. it is hard finding a power brake master cylinder for these cars. i found one at Kanter but it was a little pricey. i just hope it is the right thing when it gets here.

jensenracing77
    Participant

i got the cylinder today. the correct power brake master cylinder has a hole that is 1 11/16 deep in the back and has a 1 1/8 bore. i am not sure the details of the manual brake master cylinder but i found them several places. the only place that had this one was Kanter. i will get it on tomorrow and go for a test drive if the roads are good. i have only drove this car less than 1/4 mile so far.
    Jetfire brake

bcroejuno-com
    Participant

With all drums, the car really doesn’t need power brakes. Dual circuit would
    be nice. Front discs would make it a lot safer in wet weather; then you need
    the brake booster. Bruce Roe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum