Oil pump

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

What do you guys think about the high volume oil pump kits for these 215 engines? Mark at D&D talked me into installing one on my wife’s Jetfire because he said it is good for the turbo motor even though it is stock. I have taken the turbo and the heads off the engine to my Jetfire with 44,000 miles and there is hardly any were in this engine at all. The turbo seal had a couple chips in it but still sealed and the chips were not cause from a lack of oil. I think I am going to build this original engine with a stock oil pump. It will be all back to stock everywhere else, NOS shim head gaskets, NOS cam and stock heads. These original cams are known to fail between 75,000 and 110,000 miles but I am never going to put that many miles on this car. It would take 20 years to even put 10,000 miles on it. Any thoughts?

oaklyss
    Participant

I never change the oiling. Just new gears and trust plate

jensenracing77
    Participant

What kit did you buy?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Sorry this is so long.
    Put a std pump in my eng. D&D recommended a high volume pump, my eng builder and TA Performance recommended against it. Reason being don’t need it. The oil pump drive from the dist is a weak point and the high volume pump puts more stress on it. That being said I wish I had more hot oil idle pressure, while off idle no complaints. Also “tuned” with the bypass spring. If I was to use a high volume pump I would definitely go to a 10/30 rather than a 10/40.

Currently running Pengrade 1 10/40, Will be trying 10/30 VR1 and see what pressure looks like. Better flow, better oil.

Whether you go with the high volume pump kit or a STD rebuild kit from Melling get a “booster plate shim kit” from TAPerformace. It is a series of shims from .001-.009” that allow you to shim the thrust plate the gears run “against” to the optimum clearance.optimum clearance = optimum pressure. They also have a kit they call a booster kit that has a steel plate that goes in between the gears and the orig end plate that ensures a perfect surface and the ability to set the clearance just right. Pay attention to the instructions that come with the kit. Neither kit costs much. Also sell the Melling rebuild kits as do lots of people.

They also have the correct gasket for the bottom plate, whether you use their kits or not. The gasket I got with the Melling kit did not have a relief that our pumps need. I believe it’s for the 3.8 V6 that uses the same pump. Either punch out a hole or get a proper gasket as per the picture in the Factory Shop Manual shows you. Otherwise the pump will blow out the hole for you and launch paper into the system somewhere.

Finally, if you like research, read the blog. Ratblog540. It’s a great, long article on oils, filters. He discusses how oil performs, ZDDP, how different weights and different types perform. He rates oils with hard data and explanations to support his ratings. Gotta scroll around a bit but oil ratings are a little ways down from top and oil filter discussion and ratings toward the end. AND he will respond to questions, takes about a day for him to do so. You will see your question and his response in the blog.

oaklyss
    Participant

I used the Melling K-20H for the gear and spring kit, and a Sealed Power 224-518TP for the trust plate kit. Check the trust surface of your pump to see it it is worn.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Great information! Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum