Original 1961 to 1963 Delco AC oil filter number?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Original 1961 to 1963 Delco AC oil filter number?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JimNoel
    Participant

I can’t fine the original AC Delco oil filter number for our 215 cid engines. I seem to remember it was a PF xx? Does some remember for sure?

jensenracing77
    Participant

Couple blown up factory photos. Sadly, one is a display motor and has no decal or markings and the other is not turned quite right, lol . I think I can figure it out but just not tonight.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

I believe it is AC #PF-24. There was no Delco on it. I did my research over 10 years ago for my Cutlass and don’t know if the Cutlass used the same oil filter as the Jetfire. You can get a repro sticker on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-AC-Delco-PF-24-Engine-Oil-Filter-Decal-Sticker-Buick-Chevy-Olds-Pontiac-NOS-/272096207997

I got a white painted filter from WIX. To get the markings off I used rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease which took the markings off without damaging the baked on white paint. Then put the decal on it. However, it does not look like either of the photos Eric posted. I’ve been using this on my car in the absence of any factory or magazine article photos from the period.

oaklyss
    Participant

Ames has correct assembly line filters PF 7 and replacement PF 24

jensenracing77
    Participant

This PF7 looks like the one on the dyno.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Some further research and help from members brings back three PF numbers to me. I think the first filter was the PF 7, then replaced by or an alternate of a PF 30, then ultimately a PF 24. A modern replacement that I have been using is Wix 51049.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Found a PF 7 with nut. Looks like the factory photo except color white in place of blue.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I have a box full of vintage PF-30s

joe_padavano
    Participant

Jim is correct. The progression on oil filters used on the BOP motors was PF7 to PF30 to PF24. The white AC filters are period correct. The blue ones are newer. Brand new production AC filters are horrible. The quality is very poor and the materials are much thinner. I use the Wix 51409 on my later Olds motors, but I use the 51258 on my 215 as it seems to fit better. The 51258 is slightly shorter. And I think most people know that NAPA Gold are just Wix filters in a different box. NAPA part numbers drop the leading “5”, so Wix 51049 is a NAPA 1049.

jensenracing77
    Participant

And to add to what Joe said, Many people knew that CarQuest filters were Wix but they are not any more. Car Quest was bought out by Advance auto parts and kept the name but changed the parts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of johnsage
Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of doctorg
Profile picture of JimNoel

OldsJetfire Forum