Our first 63 Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Our first 63 Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I sent you a PM John

jensenracing77
    Participant

This steering wheel is only temporary till I can find a correct one and in better condition.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I was looking through the extra parts I got with the car and found the hood emblem! It needs restored and I have no idea who can do this? The emblem is so delicate I can’t see how they can restore it. Does anyone have a recommendation where to send it?

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

I had one of my emblems restored by Iverson Automotive and he did a great job fixing the pits and re-chroming it. I did the painted parts of it myself. I shopped around and they were the least expensive, Paul’s Chrome was the most expensive at a little over 3 times the cost of Iverson. I got pricing from 3 others that were in the middle. If you email good photos to these companies they’ll give you a rough estimate but you’ll need to send the part to them for examination to get a true cost. It’s a little nerve racking hoping the part doesn’t get lost or damaged especially for parts that are hard to come by. Here’s a link to Iverson’s website if you’re interested:
    http://iversonautomotive.com/Services/Types/Potmetal

jensenracing77
    Participant

[quote quote=13235]All vacuum and boost gauges work the same with a copper coil inside that expands and contracts, so it should be cheap to get fixed. I have an extra one but it does not work and I am trying to fix it.I think the coils get clogged.[/quote]

I believe you are right. I took this one apart all the way to the copper coil and brass. I took all the mechanicals off of it. I held it under water with 15 PSI on it and it was not leaking at all but also not moving the coil. I tried a small gauge torch tip cleaner but it is not long enough. I have the copper coil soaking in carb cleaner now. We will see what happens with that.

jensenracing77
    Participant

More bugs to work out… I drove it about 7 miles and it turned off. It felt as if it ran out of gas. Showed 1/4 tank. I pulled the fuel bowl off and emptied it out and reinstalled it. I cranked it and it filled right up so it is not likely a supply problem. It ended up starting so I headed for home. A mile later it turned off again. Did this all the way home. The body shop had this same problem when they first got it running. I will have to dig into it deeper and figure out what is going on. When it happens it sure feels like a fuel problem and not completely sure it is not. I will try to run some tests tomorrow.

jensenracing77
    Participant

You were correct oaklyss. The boost gauge was plugged up. The carb cleaner did not get it so I felt as if I had no other choice. I drilled out the back side where the tube goes into the copper. I tested pressure and vacuum from my new hole and the coil expanded and contracted like it should. I then took a smaller drill bit and drilled into the tube from my new hole I made. It cleaned out the tube and then I could get air through the tube. I then put some heat sink gel on the solder joints of the coil and soldered my hole shut. Now the coil works just like it should. I will assemble the entire gauge back together and see what happens but it should work.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I am not out of the woods yet. The coil is working but can’t get the bumper springs to work correct after I assembled it

jensenracing77
    Participant

Roads were bad so I did not get to do any more testing on the issue of it dying on me. I did pull the speedometer cable out to re-run it. It was laying on the exhaust manifold and melted some of it. I got it fixed and was able to run it proper. Also adjusted the shifter linkage just a little.

Decided to test the fluid system. The cap works just like it should and the the rest of the check valves and relief valves work like they should. I knew Jim’s part was going to be fine but I was more testing the tank, cap and check and relief valve installations for leaks.

Still a long road ahead, this car need lots of attention to get it reliable and enjoyable.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Joe Padavano recommended Qual Krom in Erie, PA for the emblem. I will send it to them and see how it turns out. Not cheep so I am glad I only need one restored.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum