Our first 63 Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Our first 63 Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Took a half day off work and got more done on this car. First, I finished the boost gauge install. It now works as it should thanks to John. Between his and the one in the car and an extra one I had I was able to put together a real nice one.

I then worked on the problem of it wanting to die on me. I found a clamp on the return line cutting off flow back to the tank. I removed this clamp and it got worse when I test drove it. I suspected all along that it was a fuel problem but decided to take some tools with me on another run and have my youngest girl with me. Next time it died I had her crank it while I was checking spark. For sure it was not electrical. It ended up starting again so we took off till it died again. This time I turned the key off and pushed in the clutch as quick as I could to keep the fuel pump from pumping any more. I took the float bowl cover off and sure enough the bowl was empty. The guy had D&D rebuild the engine and it had a rebuilt pump on it from D&D when he got it back. He had found that I had an NOS Jetfire pump so he decided to buy it from me and swap out the one D&D put on it. Looks like the NOS pump went bad. I will put the one back on it from D&D and see how it goes.

It was missing the clove box and a new one came in today from Fusick. I got that installed also.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I got the fuel issue fixed and the car is driving real well now. The engine and turbo is working great. I had to fix an oil leak, pulled the tank and replaced the fuel sock, installed a trunk mat, and adjusted a little more on the shifter.

I took it to my body guys house and he said the body work was done very nice but he did find that the hood and driver door needs adjusted better. I will take it to him next month and let him adjust them and do some other little detail work.

Took my wife and kids on a 40 mile drive to the Cataract General Store, it is the oldest continuous running store in Indiana.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Does anyone have a correct 63 bracket for the Turbo Rocket Fluid reserve bottle they want to sell? Would be interested in the bottle also but the bracket is the main thing I need.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Sprang a leak in the fluid tank. Looks like someone tried to fill a couple little pin holes with body filler, lol. I took it off and will fix it correct. Will have to bead blast all the paint and filler off of it and run some muriatic acid through it to be sure it is clean inside. I will solder the pin holes and also do a Red Coat liner as well just to be double sure it will not have a problem in the future.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Just am update,
    I got the fluid tank fixed up real good now. Ended up bead blasting it inside and out. I could not get all of the inside done so I used some muriatic acid on it also. I used the Red Kote tank liner and now the tank is as good as new. Repainted it and added the decal. Also repainted the air cleaner gloss black while painting the fluid tank.

Ken hooked me up with a guy that had a Turbo Rocket Fluid bottle and bracket. I got the bracket repainted and still need to install it on the car.

Picked up some brake and clutch pedal pads and installed them. A guy by the name of S A Schroder is making them reproduction. They are not an exact reproduction but you can’t tell a difference when installed and work great.

Took it for a couple more drives and this thing runs and drives great now. Still need to ad the hood insulation and some little details but it is almost done. I don’t have the hood emblem back yet but I will get that installed as soon as I get it back.

I was going to keep this car for next summer but now I believe we are going to sell it when it is done. We want to get going on the 62 4 speed car and we can’t do that till I let this one go. We will at least get to take it to the World of wheels in February. That will be fun.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Looks great Eric! Wish I had the $$. I’d love to have that.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Got the Hood insulation and the fluid bottle bracket installed today. Changing oil now to get the brake in oil out of it. Sure wanting to take it for another drive but the weather will not allow that. Snow and salt on the roads everywhere now.

They put a flimsy plastic fuel filter on the TRF line. I will get that changed tonight also. I am worried that the boost pressure will pop it, it is so thin.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

For now I have priced this car at $32K. After the World of Wheels show in February I have just a couple more things to do to it and it will be ready to go. We will likely list it on eBay sometime in March if we still have it then.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Here is a new You Tube video. I am listing the car for $32K. We have fully decided to do a concourse restoration on the 62 4 speed car when this car sells.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZJ4_g_omc&t=11s

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum