rear end gear ratios

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts rear end gear ratios

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    young_olds
    Participant

I was looking at the artices to get an idea of what my cars might have for gears but I dont know what the 117/116 means. Both are 62’s one is a f-85 coupe with 15″ wheels and a 3 speed manual, the other is a deluxe(i believe) wagon. Are there axle codes so I can find out without opening them up?

young_olds
    Participant

117/167 not 116

oaklyss
    Participant

You can mark the driveshaft and tire and spin the tire 1 revolution and count have many times the dive shaft rotates. That would be the ratio.

young_olds
    Participant

I know that method but it only gives you an approximate that you can try to match with available gear ratio’s.

oaklyss
    Participant

I found the axle codes in the 63 Assembly manual. There is a stamped code on the rear cover edge, passenger side, at the 3 o’clock position. Mine is C-201. The C means 3.36, the 201 is the Julian date code (day number of the year). The only other codes are A for 3.08, B for 3.23. Posi rears would have a X in a circle before the codes. Hope this helps.

young_olds
    Participant

Thanks that’s exactly what I was looking for. It was kind of hard to read but I made out a b, so my red car should have 3.23’s

young_olds
    Participant

I checked my wagon and it has a c. so assuming the cover and gears are original to both cars my f-85 coupe has 2.23 and my wagon has 3.36

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum