Rear Swau Bar-62 cutlass

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Rear Swau Bar-62 cutlass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Anyone do a REAR sway bar? I bought an Addco bar and install kit some time ago and am just starting to install. It’s an ADDCO #936. The “Anchor Plate” (ADDCO’s term for the plate the sway bar is bolted to and which in turn bolts to the control arm) doesn’t interface as instructions indicate due to the “bango” shape of the lower control arm/lower trailing arm. Slide it up the arm and the space get’s to narrow for the bar to fit in between the arms and moves the bar up to the nose/U joint yoke of the diff. Looks like I will need to make a custom plate or in someone’s experience is this a problem part?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi,
    I have NOT bought or installed a rear sway bar in my cars, however, Ken sent me pics of a kit and installed pics some time ago. I have attached the pics here, may help you?

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks Jim, That looks like my ADDCO bar and install kit. Was concerned about it hanging out like that. Ken, how it it work out? Also, was the 1″ rear bar too much?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Hi Jim,

Is it possible to forward my questions to Ken. Not sure if he is on this site.

Thanks

JimNoel
    Participant

I did contact Ken, he will respond to your question soon.

kid442
    Participant

Sorry for the delay. I have not installed the bar yet. I am still assembling my car again.I have a spare set of rear arms. I want to install the bar and trim the plates and box and weld them on the arms. Looking at the bar it looks like a van front bar adapted to the rear of our cars. Maybe late fall I will have the car done and I can work on the rear.
    Ken

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks for getting back, just saw your response. I have been in contact with ADDCO and they are making a new “anchor plate” (their term) for the bar to a simple modification I gave them-essentially extend the bottom end of the plate by 2″ so it bridges the entire bottom of the arm. Once I get them I may grind or cut them to fit the contour of the arm nicely. Also planning on boxing the arm and either putting spacers in for the vertical bolts which I will locate and drill in the plate myself or welding the plates to the arm.

What do you think about the 1″ bar thickness with a 13/16 front bar??

young_olds
    Participant

ive read that you don want a better sway bar in the rear than front, diameter in itself does not make it better. in reading its said to induce over steer, which is when the rear end slides out like your drifting.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

That is the concern I have. Although I have no doubt that when pushed these cars understeer as was common in the day and I believe reported in contemporary road tests. The rear bar should help that but I am concerned that a 1″ bar might be too much and make it rear end happy. Good point that it may be bigger but the mounting and character of the 1″ bar doesn’t necessary mean it will be stiffer/better than the front. At this point this is the only bar I’ve found so I’ll give it a try and report my results.

Looks like Ken may be on the road before me so he might have some results to report sooner.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Finally have the sway bar installed. Addco made a larger anchor plate for me with one side extended out to 7.5 inches to form a trapezoid so I could fully extend across the bottom of the trailing arm. Be easy to make one. I trimmed it to fit. I also asked them to not drill mounting holes for the trailing arm and I used existing holes-a 1/2 inch hole toward the spring and the hole the ebrake bracket mounts to which I drilled out the 3/8″, marked the plate and drilled the mounting holes. The trailing arm is fully boxed and welded with a full plate on the bottom, internal V shaped pieces side to side at the holes providing full vertical support for the mounting bolts as well as a small plate at both ends. Provided ventilation for all cavities. Won’t be on the road until Spring and I find out how the bar works, hope it’s not too much cause there doesn’t appear to be any other options.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum