Rebuilding drivers side window/glass channel.

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Rebuilding drivers side window/glass channel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kid442
    Participant

I am going to rebuild my driver’s side window/glass. I know back in the 1980’s these were always bad and having a hard time rolling them up. My car the glass is not attached to the channel. Any help will be appreciated.
    I ordered the lower window sash channel from GM obsolete. I have a spare door that I can setup to work on a conformable height. Let me know if anyone has any tricks.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    kid442w30@yahoo.com
    732-870-6964

BruceM
    Participant

Hi Ken,

I need to do this too. My door window channels are completely rusted out. The brackets appear to be good and can be cut off of the channels and welded onto the new channels. I found new window sash channels at Steel Rubber. The originals appear to have been chrome plated from the factory in my ’62. Let me know how it goes for you. I believe the Buick Skylark from those years has parts that are interchangeable for this as it was also a two door hardtop. I’ve never done this, but it doesn’t look too difficult.

kid442
    Participant

Bruce,
    I will take some photos and keep you updated on progress. Send me your email address. I have a few questions for you.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    kid442w30@yahoo.com
    732-870-6964

kid442
    Participant

This is some info I got from the Buick web site.
    Ken

The window regulators go bad because of water getting past the waist seal. The water after some time (10-20 years) corrodes the window tray, the metal base the glass sits on.

Before starting any teardown, match mark everything you touch, and possible take some pictures for Identification. You need to remove horseshoe clip behind hand crank.

I removed the old sash channel, which was corroded and gave it to welder to attach the two brackets from original and placed on new. He was meticulous and specialized in antique cars. He ground off the excess welds. And I got the new channel plated, for additional corrosion protection. He did a fantastic job. I asked him for it to look good, even though it wouldn’t be seen.

I installed a new waist seal. Investigate seal installation before you buy. I got seal from Rubber Steele(No special Reason). You can also get seal from Metro Rubber.

I wouldn’t touch window crank coil spring, if it works, don’t mess with it. If it’s seized or hard to move, soak it over night in rust dissolver.
    Worst case scenerio is that it will sound like Jack In the Box if you leave it with no lubrication. Make sure you lubricate coil spring after you remove rust.

Lubricate inside channel with grease. Spray lubricant at moving joints.

With window glass out you can clear drain passages at bottom of door, and blowout the trash.

Don’t loose the horsehoe shaped clip that goes behind the hand crank.

BruceM
    Participant

That’s helpful, Ken. Keep me posted on how it goes.

Bruce

kid442
    Participant

Just a quick update. I ordered the lower window sash channel from GM Obsolete. The part arrived from Steel rubber products. Part # 50-0417-59 for the Jetfire & Convertible.
    Ken

jetfireguy

Following is info provided by Jim Noel and posted by JetfireGuy:
    Yes, the bottom glass holder (sash) in the door window frame is a problem. I did find replacement channel steel (not chrome plated) but decided not to use as it was going to require too much work and expense! Mine were rusty and had started to bulge from rust and de-lamination of the metal. I cleaned up as best as I could. Primed and painted silver (bottom sash only) and installed glass with new rubber channel all the way around the inside of the chrome frame. Replaced all the run channel fuzzy strips and top door outside rubber and inside fuzz wipers.
    Have replaced all the vent window and roof rail rubber weatherstrip with repro’s from Steele. The goods look good but do not fit out of the box! I have days, not hours, into fit and adjustments and still not satisfied with fit. Steele is the only game in town and just have to work with the materials to get close, but not great! I can work on parts of a restoration for hours or even days still having fun. The window seals and weather stripping was/is NOT fun for me! Very frustrating when I put in so much time and am still not happy with the outcome. The next guy might like this part of a restoration, we are all different.
    Jim Noel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum