Rebuilng Roto-5 Transmission

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Rebuilng Roto-5 Transmission

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    911pilot
    Participant

I am a new clubmember and plan a rebuild for my 1962 F-85 Cutlass Convertible’s Roto-5 next month. What can I do to make the outer casing look fantastic “car show” ready? Should I media blast it and apply a clear coat? or do I spray it with regular silver car paint?. My eventual goal is to convert my Convert into a Jetfire.

Attachments:
    911pilot
    Participant

Are there any extra-steps or measures I should take into account if I intend to add a full turbo powered engine to my standard Roto-5 that I plan to have rebuilt?

Please advise

jensenracing77
    Participant

The line pressure was a little higher on the Jetfire transmission. I am not sure how they accomplished this. One thing for sure you need to do if you rebuild it is to update the original aluminum governor to the replacement cast iron one. If you can’t find a cast governor I have an extra.

For cleaning the case, We soda blasted mine. It turned out real good. You can also spray a cast aluminum paint on it VERY thin. So thin you can still see the aluminum under it. This will make it look very nice and can’t tell it has paint on it.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I have a 62 Cutlass Convertible and am looking for a new Driveshaft bearing support-the rubber/metal piece that holds the center bearing. Ordered one from Old Buick Parts/Cars,Inc but they are out with no idea when they will get them in. Anyone know another vendor?

911pilot
    Participant

Thanks for the advise, I took it and it looks great! Although now I am searching for the entire throttle linkage assembly-4GC Carberator to the Roto5 tranny. Know of anyone with a linkage?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I don’t know of any at this time. I will be looking for a couple parts cars over the summer but don’t have any now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum