replacing generator with alternator

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts replacing generator with alternator

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    joemo
    Participant

Can anyone recommend an alternator to replace the generator in my 62 Cutlass convertible? Is this a relatively easy replacement?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I know D&D has wiring and alternators. Keeping my gen for now but don’t think it’s much to change. Probably a std alternator, diff brkt, and a wiring pigtail. Someone here has done it for sure or check the classicoldsforum

macf85
    Participant

G.M. switched to alternators in 1963. Getting a bracket for a ’63 F-85 would be the easiest thing to do without having to modify anything. Then you could get a rebuilt alternator for a ’63 and splice in your aftermarket wiring harness. You’ll have to check pulley alignment with the crank pulley, etc.

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=11222]G.M. switched to alternators in 1963. Getting a bracket for a ’63 F-85 would be the easiest thing to do without having to modify anything. Then you could get a rebuilt alternator for a ’63 and splice in your aftermarket wiring harness. You’ll have to check pulley alignment with the crank pulley, etc.[/quote]

This is exactly what I did on my 62. The 63 alternator bracket bolts right up. I initially used a 12SI that I had laying around but later went to a CS130. It’s been working fantastic for nearly five years now.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I think M&H Electrical Fabricators (the repro wiring harness people) have a conversion pigtail too.

joe_padavano
    Participant

It’s extremely easy to wire an internal-regulator alternator without buying an aftermarket pigtail. The two wires from the generator to the old regulator go away (mine were melted anyway). The brown wire from the GEN light goes to terminal #1 on the 12SI or the “L” terminal on the CS130. Run a wire from terminal #2 on the SI or the “S” terminal on the CS to the junction block for sensing. Run a heavy gauge wire from the threaded BATT terminal to the junction block for the main charge wire. Finally, the CS family is sensitive to the ground path, so I always run a ground strap from the aft frame of the alternator to the block. That’s all that’s required.

joemo
    Participant

Thanks for all the information. I want to get this done soon so I can finally drive the car at night. I drove it twice with the lights on and could not restart the car.

bstang
    Participant

Anyone know where I can find a 63 bracket?

macf85
    Participant

If no-one on this site has an extra one you’re probably going to get one from a salvage yard or swap meet. You could start with Desert Valley Auto Parts. They have lots of early model cars from the dry-arid part of the U.S. I’m sure there are other salvage yards that deal nationally.

Good luck.

bstang
    Participant

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum