Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    graytoad
    Participant

So Eric, is 1 1/4″ the correct width for our cars? I was on A.A.W’s site and they only show that size. That other video from Lectric Limited said there was various widths depending on car etc.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The original tape is 1 inch but I used 1 1/4. I can’t find any that is the same thickness as original so I like the 1 1/4 so I can overlap it extra each turn. I overlap it a little over half the width of the tape. If you overlap it enough you can’t tell it is wider tape and at the same time, it adds to the thickness and protection.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I cut out new splash shields for the car. Two of the originals are still nice and soft. I may just clean those and reuse them. Either way. I have new ones now if I need them

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

Awesome:and now you have ‘patterns’ for any other 62 owner that does not have any!

jensenracing77
    Participant

I have enough material left that I may make another set just to put away. I am actually going to cut a couple wide strips and pinch between the tank and trunk pan also. Not original but it helps for sound deadening.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Got my headlight terminals in and finished the wire harness.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I got my chrome back Friday. I got home and found that the bumpers are going to have to go back. They are really smooth but the centers are cloudy. I called him this morning and sent him some pictures. He said that it was a major screw up on his part and knows how it got out like that. He said he will take full responsibility for it and fix them. He said they need to finish buffing them and that if I have the time when I drop them off he will fix them while I wait. The parts I did not get rechromed I have NOS ones to replace or are just fine the way they are to go back on the car.

Attachments:
    classiccutlass
    Participant

Eric, you are constantly moving forward on your Jetfire restoration, a true hobbyist & an inspiration to us all. There is much to learn from you, thank you for your ongoing story. Dave E.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Thank you! I sure enjoy do it and maybe even more than driving them after it is done. One thing we are excited about after it is done is we plan to haul it down to the Smoky Mountains and drive all around the mountains in it. That will not be till 2021 though. We done this in the 70 442 W-30 I built and was a great time.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Got my radiator and heater core back yesterday. I had them order the core without top and bottom rails so we could use the originals with the holes. I always have them do this but usually they have extra solder at the ends of the rails when I get them back. I told him this was going on a high end restoration so he decided to send the rails off to The core manufacturer and had them make the new core with my rails already on it. This prevented the extra solder build up at the ends. I am super happy about that! I also don’t have them painted by the radiator shop but this causes them to turn green really fast. It is really humid this morning but needed to get them painted. I decided to paint a really thin coat just to keep them from tarnishing really bad. It is so humid that the thin coat of black has turned a milky color. I will have to lightly sand the tanks and coat it again when it is dry out.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum