Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Blasted the manifolds and painted them with POR-15 exhaust manifold paint. I used this on our automatic car but used the manifold gray color. It has held up very well so decided to use it again. Just this time in aluminum color. When I done her car I didn’t know they were supposed to be aluminum color. I prefer the cast color myself. I am not a fan of very many POR-15 products for a true restoration but they do have really good manifold paint.

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

hey Eric, are 63’s also supposed to be aluminum color?

jensenracing77
    Participant

The 63 assembly manual says the manifolds, manifold to turbo and at least the top half of the pipe leaving the turbo are all aluminum. I don’t really have a document that says the 62 is the same way but I believe it was. Both of my pipes still had some aluminum paint left on them so I would think it was the same.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Just a note. Not working on this car at this time. May get back to some little things in a couple weeks or so. My wife had major surgery on her back. Had rods put in from L4 to C4. It is a 19 inch incision with two cobalt rods and lots of titanium screws. That was two weeks ago today but she still is not moving much. The surgeon wants her walking a full mile whiten 4 more weeks so she has all my attention at this time. I did call the body guy and he is still having trouble matching the paint. Kolor Korect has the correct shade of paint but it is extremely high priced. My body guy said there is no since in paying that much because he will get it right eventually for way less. I just don’t want him taking to long because in April he will be back to his summer job and my car won’t get touched till next winter. Would like to have it back this year.

johnsage
    Participant

Tell her Dana and I are thinking about her and wish her a speedy recovery. You better start getting in shape so you can keep up with her when she walks that first mile.
    John

jensenracing77
    Participant

I just got a little update, I am having a new pin made for the original 4 speed shifter that we think with make it a little tighter than original and also slide better. He got the drawing made and just sent it to me.

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

I am going to assume the shifter is the same for 62 & 63….?

jensenracing77
    Participant

Yes. Both are the same. These Borg Warner shifters are sure not the best shifter ever made but I am going to make it work the best I can. After it is done and installed I have another shifter he thinks he can make even better. I didn’t want to go that far with my original shifter but I may turn him loose on the other one. No mater what he does to it, it will never work even close to as well as a Hurst shifter.

oaklyss
    Participant

The shifters are the same. So is other early 60s GM cars, just the stick is different. Parts can be used from these other shifters.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The Borg Warner shifters can be found on eBay for other models but they are usually very high priced. I have two of them from low mile cars and both have these center pins really loose. I would imagine most of them on eBay are loose as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum