Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 171 through 180 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I have been scrubbing and organizing the garage last weekend and all week. I have to much junk! Today I scrubbed the floors really good. Tomorrow morning I have a little more to do and it will be ready for the car to come home. The garage has not been this clean since I started putting my W-30 together in 2014.

I am going to the body guys house tomorrow around noon to put a temporary rear end and front end under the car. Should be bringing it home next weekend as long as the weather is good. I will at least bring some body parts home tomorrow.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I went out to the body guys house today and put a temporary rear end and front end in the car just to get it home. I felt bad putting nasty used suspension on the car even though it is only to transport it home. I will not bring the shell home till later this week or Saturday. I have to figure out where to put the hood and fenders because I will not be installing them any time soon. I am so far behind on this car that it may not even make it to the MCACN show. I will not get in a hurry so if I make it or not don’t really matter. If I don’t make it to MCACN then the 2021 Nationals will be its first big show. The paint job is far better quality than original but I also did not have him go to the extreme. I also have to paint the black under the fender wells and back wheel wells. I had planned to do that myself. I wanted the over spray like the factory did and then paint the black over it like original. I did not want to pay him to try to duplicate it like my wife’s original paint car so I figure I can do that with the two cars side by side.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

When comparing a repainted part to my wife’s original paint car it looks like a good match. I got a color sample from Kolor Korect and my body guy also matched it to an original chip. Both come up with this exact color. Supposedly the original paint had this much metallic in it but you can’t hardly see it now without looking really close. Her car has faded pretty bad but it is also 58 year old paint. In most light the color matches really well but in other light it is way off. Right or wrong, I am happy with it. The base clear is for sure not correct but I am happy with that also.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I ended up using two generators to restore my original. My original one was beat up really bad with lots of broken parts. I decided to use another Jetfire generator and use all the guts out of it so I could keep my original date coded tag and case. I had thought that even the case with the tag was junk but then looked a little closer and decided to use it. These are Jetfire specific generator part numbers. I believe the only difference is that the pulley on the Jetfire is a #5. My original tag is not perfect but good enough. All the hardware was zinc plated but I forgot to phosphate the two long bolts that hold it all together. I still have to do that and also put the condenser on it.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant
    graytoad
    Participant

Car looks awesome Eric! So this is a different red or is it just the lighting on Melissa’s car?

jensenracing77
    Participant

This is actually the correct color but it is base clear. Also, the original metallic in her paint you can’t hardly see anymore. Her paint is faded really bad and the former owners buffed it so much that you can see primer in some places. Sadly, her car really needs repainted but we like it as it is. I do plan to pull her car apart sometime in the future but she don’t want it repainted. I need to at least do the bottom of the car

jensenracing77
    Participant

Pulled the suspension back off the Jetfire and have the shell on the lift. I decided to weigh the shell. I did not pull the doors off or the trunk lid off but I did weigh a door from a parts car that was gutted just like the ones on the car. I did not have a trunk lid to weigh but did weigh a 61 Buick lid. I am guessing they are really close to the same weight. Likely within 3 or 4 lbs. It comes to 702 lbs for the Jetfire shell and nothing on it. When I am able to weigh a trunk lid for Olds I will correct the total. Now I would like to know what the Cutlass shell weighs.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Playing with the new stamps I had made. At first I could not figure out how to do it and make it look right. I was having fits with it. I even tried making a jig to keep it in place and not slip around and smear the paint. I stepped away and said forget it for about a half hour. I went back in and had a thought. The paint had started to dry that I was using and was really sticky. I decided to try that and worked great. After loading the stamp with paint I had to use the stamp one time on something other than the car and then the car on the second stamping without loading more paint. I done this location first because it is not seen after the car is done. It pulled the paint up a little and not a perfect stamp but my originals were just like that in spots. I am going to leave this one as it is. I will do the others at another time.

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

Looks good Eric. I did not have any stamps like these on my car, are these 62 only?

Viewing 10 posts - 171 through 180 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum