Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

This car is on hold but I had already sent in the 4 speed carburetor and other parts to be recolored. He just sent me an email that he got them finished and ready to send back to me. I had sent them to Sparky’s carbs. There are so many little parts to these that it is more than the usual fee for a 4 bbl carb coloring. It was $320 for all the coloring but again, I had several extra parts also. Was coloring only, I will build it. I had him color the glass fuel bowl also just to see what it looked like. I will likely not use it on this car. I believe they are supposed to be aluminum color?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I picked up some super cool NOS parts out of Hawaii. I will not use the tank on this car but I will use the cap and emblem. Now I want to find an NOS trunk lid Jetfire emblem.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Disassembley has officially began. After a long delay, my body guy has his shop up and running again. Today I started out taking lots of close detailed pictures of all the trim and the alignment of the trim and bumpers. Also got more pictures of door, hood, fender and trunk gaps. I still have the automatic car for more reference but still want good pictures of this car coming apart. Today I only pulled chrome parts that need re-chromed and that I don’t have NOS of. I do not need to have much chrome work other than the bumpers and the bumpers.

I did take my time and got the original trunk weatherstrip off without hurting it. I am undecided if I will reuse it because it has about a 1 inch spot that is cut.

I would like to be done on time for the 2020 MCACN show. I don’t really see a problem with that time frame but I will not rush if the time is going to be close, I will just miss the show. My quality goes down with a deadline and I will not allow that to happen.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Pulled the back seat out and this is the 1962 version of the broadcast card. The 3147 is Jetfire, 971 is silver interior, 384 is 4 speed manual transmission and 1997 is the body number on the cowl tag. The 3-23-27-1 I am not sure what this is, I will have to spend some time and see if I can figure it out. I am not going to remove this tag. It will stay on the back seat.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Got my first estimate for re-chroming these 6 parts and the two bumpers. $5000 to $6000. I completely understand that chrome is a labor intensive process and quality cost money but I did not expect that for what I have. I was guessing around $3000

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Well, I added several pieces to what I am getting re-chromed and decided to take them to the guy that done the chrome work on my W-30. I was happy with the quality of his work but not sure I really trust the guy. His price is much better than the other places. I usually believe in you get what you pay for but I simply can’t do $6000 for what I have. That and I do have experience with this guy that is doing the work. All I can do is hope for the best. I almost think I could buy a survivor car with mint bumpers and a couple other parts I need for less than the cost of chrome, lol

jensenracing77
    Participant

My quest is to reuse as much as I possibly can on this car so disassembly is taking much longer than usual. I was able to get the back glass out without hurting the rubber seal and was also able to get the package tray out without hurting the foam rubber or vinyl on the front edge. I also got the insulation under the package tray out and will reuse it. I am going to spray it with glue and cover it with a really thin fabric to help hold it together. I am highly allergic to this insulation so I have to use a mask around it.

Where do I get the trim clips for the back glass? I marked each one for where it was located because I have 3 different sizes of clips. I broke all but two of them getting the trim off.

I am happy to see no rust in the back glass opening

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Eric, how did you get the glass out without cutting the gasket? Steel Rubber has the gaskets but I don’t know how good they are. Does the window trim come out with the window and gasket? Or did you remove the trim first? I would guess Ebay is the best source for the clips but you have to know what other GM car would use them to help widen the search.

macf85
    Participant

I believe the back window in the Jetfire and Cutlass is the same, both 1962 and 1963. Here are some excerpts from the ’63 factory service manual for the back window. Steele does make the back window gasket. I used one and it worked great, no leaks. Here’s a copy of the Steele instructions. All of my trim clips for the top and side trim pieces are the same size. If the trim clips are the same from ’62 to ’63, I found some from Northland Fasteners back in 2006. Here is a photo of my old clip next to the new one from Northland. I’m not sure if they’re still in business but here is their contact info.
    Northland Fasteners
    615 Northeast 45th Terrace
    Kansas City, Missouri 64166
    (816) 453-7277
    Windshield Reveal Moulding Fastener #2628 (a.k.a. NO2628)

You should need 14 clips. If they are no longer in business I have enough clips left over from my project I’d be willing to part with.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Mac85 that’s great info. There must be a tool or a way to make a tool to remove the trim from the clips without breaking them.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum