Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 191 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Making some good progress now.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

The car looks great Eric! It’s been fun following your pics and narration since you’re so thorough and particular about how it’s going together. Looking forward to a Youtube video of it in action.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Thanks. I enjoy building them maybe more than driving them. This car has been more of a challenge to me. I know the 70-72 model really well but had to learn a lot about these cars as I go. Also glad I have so many parts cars to research things.

I finished the dash today. The glove box is the original and was nearly mint. All I have to do is hook up the backup lights and the choke cable but will wait on those till later. I hope to install the headliner Saturday if the weather is good. I want to install it outside in the sun.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Your work is impeccable Eric. Really looks great!

jensenracing77
    Participant

Thanks Jim

jensenracing77
    Participant

The original headliner is back in the car! I installed the front to back last night and then stretched the sides this morning. All the hardware screw holes lined back up int he original spots really good.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

People think that I am crazy on this one but I am reusing the original weatherstripping, fuzzy’s, and rubber door sweeps. The weatherstripping is not mint but it is still very nice, the fuzzy’s and rubber sweeps are nearly mint. I can always replace it later if I need to but this original stuff is still nice and pliable. I washed it with dish soap and a tooth brush. Took a lone time for it to completely dry in the sun. Had water inside the foam for a long while. I have temporary trim pieces holding the headliner so those look funny for now, I will install the original stuff closer to when I have the interior done. 

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

they do look great, I would reuse them too. Nothing fits like original. Looking awesome, nice stuff Eric.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The passenger side glass is done and the back driver side glass is done. I will get back tot he driver door glass at a later time. I have moved on to the engine because I needed to get some of it cleaned up before cold weather comes. For a year I have been back and forth on if I wanted to do a full rebuild on the engine. I have decided to leave the rotating assembly alone. The cylinders look great, it ran great and used no oil. The rear main seal was not leaking either. I have an NOS cam that is going in it and NOS head gaskets. The deck and heads are very nice and flat so I don’t see any problem with using the NOS steal shim head gaskets. I will replace the timing set and oil pump. I also have had the water pump and balancer rebuilt. I do plan to slip the old cam and timing set back on it to check where the cam is at with the original timing set so that I can match it with the new timing set and NOS cam.

The paint on the heads don’t match the original paint splotches perfectly but close enough.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Making some headway. Front and back glass are in and the engine is mostly assembled.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 191 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum