Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Wish mine looked as good as that on the bottom! Mine has lots of pitting. I found a couple thin spots that may go through if I peck on it hard. I have another car with good floors so I have all the patch pieces I need if I need any.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Talked to the body guy yesterday and he had me take the body to him today. I done that and started the tear down on the engine and transmission. At first glance, the cylinders look to be ok. My plan is to put new rings, bearings, cam, lifters and timing set in it. I have an NOS original cam I am using. For the heads, whatever they need….

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I got the front suspension and steering all apart Saturday and took another Jetfire front suspension I had apart today. I will use all the best parts from the two setups along with all my NOS steering and suspension parts.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

This manual transmission inspection cover I cleaned real easy to see what if any paint was on it. There was zero paint of any kind and not even under the bolt heads. It appears to be bare steal but it is not rusted. With being from Chicago I would think it would have been rusted if it was bare steal from the factory. Does anyone know what the original coating would be for this cover? I feel sure it was not painted because there is zero evidence of it.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I have had people ask for pictures of the clutch fork seal over the past 3 years and never could get a good picture of it in the car. Everything was covered in grease. I got it cleaned up and used leather conditioner on it and it is nice and soft again. I don’t have a picture of it yet but there is a clip on the fork that keeps the leather flap on the end fastened to the fork.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I cut up an old Jetfire fender that was rusted out to use as a template on the NOS fender. The NOS fender has 4 holes at the front so I cut the junk finder so that these 4 holes would line up between the two. I only have to get the back exactly right and drill. Also found a rust free passenger side fender from Arizona. This was my first time dealing with Desert Valley Auto Parts and I had no trouble at all. I hear lots of bad things about them but that was not my experience. The price was reasonable also. Has a couple dings in it so they only wanted $200 for it and shipping. From Arizona to Indiana was $165 shipping.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Done some cooking today… Cooking head bolts. I started doing Manganese Phosphate myself and redone the head bolts today. They turned out really good. I done an extra bolt from another engine also. I will do some tests on the extra bolt to see how well it holds up. Should be as good as the original coating.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I am pooped… Started at 6:30 this morning bead blasting bolts and phosphating till I blew the air line on the bead blast cabinet. Can’t get one till Tuesday… Then started working on master cylinders. This car had a Delco Master cylinder on it and had rust pitting in it. I had changed it out a couple years ago with a Moraine brand. These cars could have come with either one from what I understand and the guts are the same in them. I pulled 3 Delco cylinders from my parts cars and all of them are the same way. I am not going to spend the money to get one bored and sleeved so I will have to live with a Moraine till I find one. Maybe I will get lucky and find a really good one before the car goes together.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Turns out that my replacement master cylinder is not a Moraine, it is a Wagner. I could be wrong but I am not sure if any of these cars came with a Wagner? I will use it till I find a good Delco I can rebuild. I have it done and rebuilt. I also got my blast cabinet fixed and started phosphating more hardware today after work. If anyone had a Delco master cylinder with a nice bore they want to sell, let me know.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Steering linkage is done. Phosphate coated all the bolts and hardware. The sleeves should not be phosphate I do not believe but I decided to on this car. I think they were natural steal when new but not sure.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum