Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Transmission is going together. Going out tonight with the family so will try to finish it after church tomorrow.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I pulled the two halves of the drive shaft apart today. I found the original stripe still visible. I was not sure this was the original drive shaft but now I want to believe it is. If it was a replacement, it would not have had a paint stripe. The stripe is on the front section and the back section is what is different than most Jetfire cars so maybe just the back section was replaced. hard to say what happened to this car between 62 and 74….

I have been using electrolysis to remove rust on many parts. I put this front section of the drive shaft in to see if the rust would come off and leave the paint stripe. I will bead blast it anyway but want to see how well it will clean first.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

This is what it looked like this morning when I took it out of the tub. Will still have to bead blast it but will be much easier to do now that the tight crusty stuff all come off. It is beside the back section of the same shaft for comparison. Also, this is what the tub looked like when I took it out.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

A local place has wanted me to try them for zinc plating for a long time. I decided to try them on this project and most everything turned out really good. There are a couple pieces I am going to take back to them in my next batch of parts but overall everything will work as it is.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

The transmission is done. The shifter parts were zinc plated and is only loosely mounted. I am waiting on more parts for it and going to have to have a new shaft made for it.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I didn’t know the body guy started on it yet but he called today and said to come over. The bottom side is MUCH better than I expected. The pitting is not even that bad. We have decided to not use a bed liner and will use a thick epoxy primer and paint it. He also has patched the lower right quarter. He hand formed the patches and look really good.

I was worried that it had a former repaint because of damage or rust. Turns out there is no body damage at all and no former rust repair in the body. Both front fenders had filler in them but I have an NOS and a rust free replacements. He has almost 40 hours init so far.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Here is the bottom side of the 4 speed hole after is was blasted

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

That’s an excellent shot of the way the generic F85 floor tunnel stamping from the Fisher body plant was cut and patched only on cars with 4 speed transmissions. Mine looked very much identical to that. It’s great to see the progress of Eric and everyone else on this website who has a current project. Keep the photos and updates coming. If my wife were more understanding and willing I’d like to get another project started.

oaklyss
    Participant

Eric, you tunnel look like it was cut with a torch

jensenracing77
    Participant

After it was cleaned up I am sure that is correct. I want to believe that is how they done it for all of them. I know it is this way for the 70-72 cars also

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum