Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    911pilot
    Participant

I’ve never done this scope of a project but I opted for a 4-speed because I thought I could get better fuel economy. Monster builds theirs with generic bell housing thats supposed to bolt on to all sorts of engines to include standard BOP bolt patterns, so Ill not need the bell housing adapter from D&D (saving me extra cutting/fabbing to accomodate the extended length. The adapter would have been required if I had gone with the 700. By ordering their “conversion kit”, Monster upgrades all their 2004R with OD with HD clutches and durable metal vice plastic pieces, they include an Edlebrock linkage set (TV cable) along with and bolt-on Lockout kit and an external intercooler. Did you consider a 200R 4 speed, was it not practical? Is the 200C that much smaller and does the 200C come in a 4-speed?

felixjgarcia
    Participant

Be aware the bop bell is do not fit the 215 bolt patter if not it would be simple

911pilot
    Participant

So the universal bell housing that apparently comes with multiple bolt patterns will NOT fit the 215?

felixjgarcia
    Participant

The 215 olds /Buick pattern is the only gm pattern that is different from all gm bop pattern is different. The idea from d&d is the most simple one I am getting ready to do the conversion for my car

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

The 200C is a 3 spd with lock up torque converter only. It is a lot smaller in diam, shorter, and lighter than the 2004R, making it easier to fit while using the stock console, associated linkage, and driveshaft angle. Don’t know about the Monster bell housing, but a stock BPO bell housing does NOT fit the 215. You need the adpt for a BPO bell housing. The reason to use the BPO housing is it does not stick up on the top mounts like the std GM housing, which makes for less clearancing of the tunnel and the trans housing itself.

911pilot
    Participant

Ok…understood; I’ll still need the D&D adapter. Im intrigued by your research that led you to use the 200C 3-speed for its smaller dimension as compared to the 2004R. If the 2004R didn’t require extensive fabbing/cutting would you have considered the 4R over the C? I just think by adding a 4 speed will really make this car drive smoothly with lower load on the engine. Also, do you believe I will be able to use my stock shifter console on the floor if I go with the 2004R? Im adamant about keeping the stock look while gaining all the fuel economy and performance by going with the eddlebrock carb and the 2004R, but ONLY if I can keep the stock shifter and console.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

See pics on page 2 of the two transmissions. The 200C is attached to the 215 with most of the case relieving done. Had to do more cutting/grinding on the case for exhaust pipe flanges for easy bolt up after that pic. Installed pic shows the TV cable bracket bolted to rear of carb Don’t have any pics pf the tunnel clearancing process, it was a trial and error of fitting the empty mule block-trans combo in and out.

911pilot
    Participant

What page 2, whats pics?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

The 200C was recommended by D&D as the easiest to fit without a bunch of body clearancing. Trans with OD will be nice but will require significantly more changes. Longer means more difficulty in getting the drive shaft to line up without shimming it down more, bigger trans body means more tunnel mods, maybe cutting. Don’t know about the linkage but it will surely be tighter. Will the console fit, don’t know. Get a scrap trans cheap at a junk yard, gut it, keep the linkage detents inside, bolt it up to a engine block, drop it in and out and start checking.

I think someone here has done it and can advise better than me, or check the 6163Skylark site too.

You are on page 4 (or maybe this answer takes you to page 5) of this thread. See the page numbers at the top and bottom right of the thread. Click on 1 to go to the first page and so on.

Good luck

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

You drilling your old flywheel for the TC or getting a flex plate and drilling it?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum