September 6, 2020 at 8:18 pm #17106
wow, way too long since I last posted. I have been working on a number of niggling issues in the interior.
My sun visors had some bad stains from 50+ years of having a red cardboard document pocket clipped to it. Managed to clean off 95% of the staining. The stitching thread was rotting with age so I re-stitched them both. The headliner cleaned up really nice, there are a couple of small marks, but nothing major.
The armrest pads were cracked with age and the bottom bracket was chrome plated plastic from the factory. The chrome was worn off to the white plastic in spots. They are available but we are trying to keep this car original so we repainted with ‘chrome’ spray paint. Turned out very nice: not true chrome but looks much nicer. I have some correct original vinyl (from a 63 donor car) so I recovered the pads. All the doors chrome and stainless bits have all been polished too.
I also decided to replace the mirror in my rear-view as the bracketry was all so nice. I just used regular mirror, reattached it to the soft rubbery backing the factory piece was attached to and glued it back in. It will not be non glare but it cost me less than 3 bucks.
The rear seat bottom; the seams were split just above where the seat bottom meets the carpet. Both corners – the vinyl was really tight with shrinkage and the stitching had popped. The frame work has a rolled edge on the bottom but the top edge was rather sharp and turned outwards slightly. Stupid design so as the vinyl shrank the metal slit the vinyl and popped the stitches. (one side has a small 1/2″ slit, the other was nearly 2 inches long) I took a spare piece of vinyl and wrapped that sharp edge so it would not happen again, I also glued a patch of vinyl on the seat cover behind the slit in the vinyl and re-stitched the seam. I used a heat gun to give the vinyl flex as I stretched the cover back over that framework.September 6, 2020 at 9:30 pm #17112
We also sanded and prepped the inside of the hood for painting. I sprayed the exposed metal and surface rusted area with rust encapsulator too, that product is what makes the exposed metal look black. I was surprised how the original paint was not adhered to the metal very well, lots of it just sanded right off with barely a stroke or two of the sandpaper. Poor prep before painting I am going to guess but it lasted 57 years. Steve then painted it using the paint gun: he has not had much experience using a paint gun but he is getting good at that.
Steve decided to break out an old restorers trick and recreated the hood liner using fiberglass ceiling tiles. By fitting the tiles with the seams under the hood braces – it is hard to tell that is what he used.
This car has very little rust, but I found some! I removed all the trim around all 4 wheel wells as well as the rocker mounding along the bottom of the car below the doors etc. The front drivers fender corner trim was completely packed with mud: no wonder fenders rot out here. This is the only corner that had a bunch of surface rust as a result of all that grit grinding the paint away. That mess all hides under the trim but I don’t want it to rust any further. So I prepped that, some flakes of paint were bubbled with rust so I scraped that away but the metal is still solid. I coated with rust encapsulator and since we had paint left after painting everything else: why not give it a shot too! I will touch up that little bit along the edge later after the car gets properly polished.
I banged out a bunch of dents in the passenger side rocker molding, wet sanded them with many finer and finer grits then polished them: turned out ok for my first try at that. The rest of the pieces just needed a good polishing. I did the one corner piece then took a comparative photo – very pleased how well they came back to life!September 7, 2020 at 8:53 am #17118JimNoelParticipant
Looks great Sandy! Lots of detail time but will really show nice when you are finished.September 18, 2020 at 10:43 pm #17127
I need to get back at posting here.
The front bumper, passenger side was bent slightly. Steve had dealt with tweaked bumpers before and was sure he could fix this ‘nearly new’. I was skeptical and worried he would make it worse. Trust in your husband Sandy! He jerry rigged a gadget using bar-stock, vice grips, a pry bar, a block of wood and some muscles and grunting. Great job Steve!
I had air brushed the cowl vent but was not happy with the results so I re-sanded it and Steve painted using our small paint gun. I planned to air brush the lower filler panel between the grill and bumper which was all prepped and masked ready to go but when he poured the remaining paint in to my air brush – it would not deliver the paint. Not having the time to figure out what the problem was (paint had the hardener in it) I poured the paint back in the small paint gun, added a bit more covering to protect things more and Steve did the job with the small gun again. Totally pleased with the results here too.
I had also spent many hours touching up the stone chips this car has. We have never owned a car so scarred that was not slated to be painted but I could not live with all those chips and gouges. My son said to fill the chips so they were slightly above the paint surface and they would buff down (hopefully) when he did the car. I could not believe the transformation in just ‘hiding’ those chips with an excellent color matched paint. Yes, in the right light it is ‘pimpled’ but so much nicer: couldn’t wait to see it all cut and polished!September 19, 2020 at 10:44 am #17132macf85Participant
Nice job! Your car’s looking good and I like that license plate.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.