Slapping,Flapping, New Convertible Top

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Slapping,Flapping, New Convertible Top

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Just got my new top. Robbins Stayfast/canvas top. Zip out rear window. Looks great. Nice and tight. New side cables in place. New pads, new front tack strip, new weatherstrip, old top full removed, refinished/adjusted/lubed top frame. Just had my first drive home from the top shop.

Problem is when I hit about 45+ with the drivers window down it starts flapping and slapping the 2nd small bow back making a snapping sound, irritating. Some drumming action of the material between the front windshield bow and the first small bow.

I will be taking more drives soon and getting with the installer but thought I would talk to the convertible owners of these cars here to see what is typical.

Hoping for specific feedback on the 61-63 F85/Cutlass convertible.

Thanks

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Also, thick felt strip in place on first small bow behind windshield bow.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Any convertibles out there? Hoping for some feedback.

classiccutlass
    Participant

I have a ’63 & I don’t recall the slap/flap phenomenon. However, I drive it 95% of the time with the top down (of course!!). The top has been replaced, but it was on the car when I got it, & will need replacement in the next 1-2 years. I don’t have access to the car right now (in the shop for a few things I just don’t have time to do right now). Michigan weather is iffy right now so I’m not sure I’ll be able to check out how it is put together for awhile. I’ll keep you in mind when I do get it back. Sorry I can’t be of more help right now, but I didn’t want to leave you hanging out there.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the work.
    On the coast in CA and plan to drive some with top up this winter so hoping for a solution or if necessary “ oh well- that’s the way they are.”

JimNoel
    Participant

Yes, there are circumstances where a convertible top will make strange noises while driving and the top is up.
    I have found that if the back window is closed (zipped up) and air is allowed to enter the inside of the car, either through the pull cable vents or the heater controls, and pressure builds up inside the car. This internal pressure increases with speed and pushes up on the top fabric. This pushing will stretch the top material and cause slack in the top material and it will flap or make noise as it flexes up and down against the top bows. This flapping is even more common and audible with the drivers window down. The pressure in the car has no where to go and pushes the top fabric up. The air flowing over the top on the outside tends to push the fabric back down and thus the flapping occurs. This flapping is usually not noticed if the back window is open (zipped down) allowing the pressure inside the car to escape and not build up.
    I drive my convertible with the top down about 98% of the time so I have not experienced the problem often but I do remember it.
    Hope this helps you.
    Jim

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks Jim, I was afraid of that. I have a couple of two seat convertibles where there is either no or or very little of it taking place, but the ballooning and occasional flap is there even with the much smaller top.

Maybe try the exit window strategy above and see if that makes a difference. Friend has a 72 Cutlass on loan and he says he doesn’t experience it so I’ll have to see what’s different.

Thanks again, any feedback appreciated.

bauertime
    Participant

My zipper came apart on mine, so I know to never unzip a back window again. It’s not worth it.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

My top guy told me to not unzip/zip window while top is fully up. Open it slightly to perform the function.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum