Member: JetfireGuy

XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog steering colum and steering wheel replacement

steering colum and steering wheel replacement

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts steering colum and steering wheel replacement

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  captiannapalm 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

blackf85
    Participant

I want to change the steering column and steering wheel any suggestions on this. Pro and con’s on doing this. Would rather not buy new, but buy from a salvage yard.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Are you looking to replace with original parts or change to something non original?

blackf85
    Participant

I was think of putting in a tilt. Doesn’t matter if it is an original part. What I seam to be running into is the shifter is on the column. Which most require them to be floor shifters.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Not sure I would be the right guy to help with that project. I am more of a restorer or rebuilder than a fabricator.

joe_padavano
    Participant

You aren’t going to find anything that will bolt in. These cars aren’t popular enough for a company like Ididit to market one. You will need to have one custom built or modify one yourself. Ididit sells column shift versions, but you will need to fabricate a linkage to match. The only bolt-in columns are the 1961-63 F-85 and Skylark columns. Even then, the manual and power steering versions are different.

captiannapalm
    Participant

Ididit or Flaming River have a universal kit. Why ruin a classic by putting tilt in it….yuck… Few places will shrink your original wheel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.