thermostat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

So after searching for a thermostat, I cant find the correct 170* thermostat. What does anyone reccomend?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I use a 160 degree high flow Robert Shaw style right now. Depending on how it runs in the summer I may switch to a 180. D&D and Evans recommend the 160.

The Robert Shaw style has something like 20% more flow when open than a standard thermostat like a Start.

jensenracing77
    Participant
    JimNoel
    Participant

I agree with Eric. I have found that I get the best coolant performance when using an original GM (made by Dole Valve Co.) thermostat with a 168 degree rating. Originals can be found in junk yards and checked with a pot of water on a heating source and a good thermometer to check its opening temperature.

Attachments:
    captiannapalm
    Participant

what apain in the arse to replace….180* also found out where the puddling was coming from on the back of the intake manifold. The bypass hose was leaking and ran down towards the back. unfortunatly the water pump i replaced last year went t.u. have my orginal on its way to the flying dutchman 3 yr warranty..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum