Transmission help needed…

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Transmission help needed…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bavarianolds
    Participant

Hi there,

I´m Daniel from Munich/Germany and I`m new to this forum. I just bought a 63 F-85 without engine and transmission, the rest of the car is nearly complete but naturally not in best condition.

I already read many of the discussions on engine swaps, so I decided, if I will not resell the car anyway, to keep things original. It has the shifter for the 3speed tranny on the steering column.

The Rover engines are not so difficult to get here in Germany but I don`t know anything about the matching transmission. Can anybody give me the right type/manufacturer of the 3speed manual transmission used in these cars?

Are there any other transmissions from Rover or something else that fit without changing the driveshaft?

I have another question concerning the VIN. I have only a small metal plate with the VIN information. Was the VIN also stamped somewhere in the sheetmetal of the body?

Thanks to everybody giving me some information!

Greetings from Southern Germany,

Daniel

young_olds
    Participant

I believe the 3 speed manual is a Saginaw, I have one but never paid much attention to it

young_olds
    Participant

The vin is also stamped on the frame rail visible with the good up, at least on a 62

bavarianolds
    Participant

Hello youngolds,

thanks for the transmission information!
    Where in The framerails is The VIN Stamped in?
    I think somewhere on The hump for The frontaxle, right?
    Sorry, but The preowner covered The whole thing with a thick anti-rust paint, so before I begin to scratch it off, it would be better to know The right Position where to search ;-).

young_olds
    Participant

Drivers side frame rail, engine side, above and slightly forward of the front crossmember

JimNoel
    Participant

Here is where the VIN is stamped into the frame on my 1962 Jetfire.

Attachments:
    bavarianolds
    Participant

Hey guys,

thanks for your answers! Now I definitely know where to search:-).

joe_padavano
    Participant

The Rover motor is externally identical to the GM motor. All transmissions that fit one also fit the other. D&D sells a reproduction bellhousing if you want to retain the manual trans.

bavarianolds
    Participant

Hello Joe,

thanks for The bellhouse information. My Problem is that there is no transmission in my car and I wanted to know which was The original manual 3 speed used in The 1963 F-85 cars. The original driving shaft is still in there and I want to keep it because The spare parts Situation is even worse here in Germany…

young_olds
    Participant

It might be hard to find one, all the other Saginaw 3 speeds I’ve had don’t look like the 3 speed that was in my 62. It’s actually the only one I’ve ever seen

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum