Turbo air cleaner element & gasket source ?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Turbo air cleaner element & gasket source ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    wastegate

Guys

Has anyone found a source for the air cleaner element on a F-85 turbo rocket? I think some were a green foam element and others had a washable in metal mesh element? Also, a new gasket for the cleaner lid? Seems like it was rubber 50 years ago……

Please reply and thanks!

jensenracing77
    Participant

you will likely have to make your own filter from Bulk off road filters. you will have to cut it and glue it together. just don’t forget to use oil on it or it won’t filter anything. here is a link to some you could use.

https://www.denniskirk.com/301500.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CPOemd2037ECFce8KgoduDoAug

jensenracing77
    Participant

i just remembered that Jim posted an article about it.

http://oldsjetfire.com/articles/27/30-air-filters

62oldsf85
    Participant

I’m going to offer an easier fix. I simply measured the oval circumference inside the air cleaner, found a normal Fram filter the same size (if I’m right, it’s the one that fits the four barrel air cleaner (and made sure the height would work) and then just fitted the Fram filter inside the air cleaner (took a round filter and made it oval shaped). That’s it. No big deal.

wastegate

So…. Napa can get a41c which is the metal mesh forming the tylenOl shape of the foam.

$10 a piece

The foam has to be ordered in bulk.

I’m back in the chips…

jensenracing77
    Participant

62oldsf85…good tip, i didn’t think of that.

JimNoel
    Participant

to: 62oldsf85

It would be a great help if you could give us the Fram number of this round air filter you made oval, to fit a Jetfire air cleaner canister. I have reviewed all the Fram filters by size (Fram-on line catalog available as a .PDF) and nothing is even close?? The original paper air filter is AC Brand A146C. If I were to duplicate this air filter with a round one and squash it to be oval and fit the air cleaner canister, it would need to be 7.9″ to 8.0″ inside diameter and about 9.75″ outside diameter as a round air filter.It should be about 4.5″ tall to seal in the air cleaner canister.

Would you please take yours out and find the Fram number. This could help all Jetfire owners.
    Thanks, Jim

IMG_3328-ttt

IMG_3329-tttt

IMG_3325

Attachments:
    wastegate

I haven’t visited the napa yet, but the counter guy assured me the metal mesh fit perfectly. It does. Ordering by bulk the green foam 3 feet will result in a surplus. I dont know if it was a yearly issue between reusable and paper element, but owning lots of bikes I know the foam lasts forever and is actually slightly better flow.

Anybody got a source/lead on the gasket for the lid – in the lid?

JimNoel
    Participant

No real vacuum or pressure here. I would glue in a piece of door or trunk weatherstrip.Should seal the two parts well. Trim lengthwise to fit and glue the fresh cut side down.
    Jim

wastegate

Thanks Jim, otherwise it’da been black silicone and caulk gun time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum