Turbo air cleaner element & gasket source ?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Turbo air cleaner element & gasket source ?

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    62oldsf85
    Participant

Jim,
    I looked it up and it was a Purolator 843195. It fits well in terms of internal size, but it’s probably an inch from being tall enough. It hasn’t seemed to cause a problem and guess I hadn’t thought much about it until it was brought up here. Seems to work fine.

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi,
    If the air filter is not tall enough (4-1/2″), how have you sealed the side(s) to keep air from going around the filter, bypassing filtration, straight into the carb without reducing the total surface area of the filter element and CFM to the carb?
    I can’t find any reference to a Purolator #843195 air filter element?
    Jim

62oldsf85
    Participant

That 8 might be a “B” on the Purolator filter. I’ll look at the number again and see if it was. No, I haven’t sealed the sides. It would be interesting to see if would alter performance if I did. I haven’t had too many hiccups with the carb other than the occasional gumming up of the idle screw that I’ve had to blow out once in a while. (this is Scott, by the way). What’s your take on how a better fit on the filter might impact performance?

jensenracing77
    Participant

if you got this one to seal up it would have a less surface area to allow breathing air. it would almost act as a choke. with it not seald it will allow most all the dirty air to be sucked through the engine because the area not sealed will be less restricted than the filtered area. you may look into the new K&N filters that Ken is having made. i had him put me down for one.

JimNoel
    Participant

I would have to agree with Eric. Your intake is seeing mostly unfiltered outside air. This will not effect your performance by lack of air volume, CFM, but “could” effect your engine, especially if you are driving on dusty roads. Your air cleaner would have enough room to suck in a June bug around the air filter! Just sealing up the sides of the air filter would restrict your available CFM to the turbo. I would suggest you go back to a home made foam filter or see if Ken’s K&N source works out.
    Jim

jetfireguy

Hey, guys! If you notice something missing, we decided some of the discussion was getting a little toxic, which is not healthy in a lively forum like this one has proven to be. So we deleted the last few posts in this thread.

Sorry, but we hope you can appreciate that it is something we had to do to keep the forum constructive. If you have any questions about this, please read the Terms of Agreemet for this site (see the red link in the lower right corner of this page).

If you need to see Noel’s filter pictures, in a couple of days you can find them under “Articles, Nuggets from Noel,Tech Articles from Noel,Filter Materials”. There are already several pictures and a good narrative there. Thanks for your continued participation! JetfireGuy

macf85
    Participant

I was thinking about posting a reply about being civil in our sharing of knowledge. I’m glad you did. Thank you!

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum