turbo power surge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jetfireguy

For those who have experienced the power surge developed by the turbocharger, how would you describe it? I know, its a 15% boost in H.P. from 185 to 215, but how does it feel? What other sports cars does it compare to? How exciting is it?

I experienced that surge of power in a new ’63 Jetfire when I was 19 years old. I remember stomping on it at 20-30 MPH, and about 1 second after the normal surge, feeling a distinct boost when the turbo kicked in. It was great!

I believe very few people have actually experienced it unless they purchased a new Jetfire or have had their turbos completely refurbished. I also believe there are fewer than 15 or 20 which are performing correctly today.

Because they are so rare, the turbo equipped cars have to be increasing in value every day.

What do you think?

perkinsra
    Participant

I thought you bought the car because your wife (my mom) liked the turbo soooo much! 🙂

jetfireguy

Is there any way to keep the “webmaster” from posting in this forum? He knows “tooooo much”!

62oldsf85
    Participant

Mine is very smooth. I took a trip through the mountains of Maryland and PA to the Delaware Valley Olds show this past fall. Some of the roads were through steep country,and I had both my boys! and some travel gear in back. I have a ’62 Borg Warner 4 speed back behind my rebuilt engine – I never really had to get out of 4th gear, even though some of the hills were quite long. At about 2800 RPM, if I put my foot into it, I get a very smooth (it doesn’t feel like I’m waiting a second in mine) jump from vacuum to boost. It will boost up to 6 if I need it (but I never really have). Usually at about 3-4 lbs of boost the car has overcome whatever power it needed and it just levels out. Two things to know about my engine – it’s got a Crower 260 degree cam, ported heads, backcut valves, and the crank and all internal parts were balanced within a gram by me – and with the 4 speed I think that’s why I don’t need the boost all of the time, but when I seek it, it’s definitely there. Stewart Warner sells a pretty nice little boost gauge that I mounted on top of my console, so I can watch when the engine is operating on vacuum, at zero, or dips into the boost. I like to monitor everything in the car when it’s running, so that’s a pretty cool thing to me, especially since my “Economy/Power” gauge isn’t working.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum