Value of an unrestored 1962 Jetfire turbocharged

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Value of an unrestored 1962 Jetfire turbocharged

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    donroberto

There is this owner of a 1962 Jetfire Turbocharged and 4 speeds tranny. The car is all original and untouched. Some fender rust, but otherwise intact and solid. Interior in great condition. I assume the turbocharged is dry and in need of restoration. How much would this car go for as a barn find and then fully restored?

jensenracing77
    Participant

As much as I hate to say it, These cars don’t sell for as much as many people think they should. They are awesome cars and very neet. Bring great attention at the shows. The problem is that the parts are very hard to find and the turbo system will for sure have to be rebuilt. They are very rare to find complete but rare don’t make them worth a fortune. Every time I found one a couple years ago then ken Denneson would say it was to much money. Now that I have been around these cars for a while, he was always right.

I am not trying to say don’t buy it because we love ours and are lots of fun but just be carefull with the purchase price. even if it needs a little work you are talking big money. restored price is not likely going to hit $20,000. Without pictures there is no way to give you an opinion on unrestored price but at the same time all the ones I know of that needed some restoration work sold in the $6000 range or less.

I did pay more for ours but it is a rust free original paint car.

Good luck and if you get it post some pictures for us to look at.

jensenracing77
    Participant

If you can, post pictures here before you buy it and we can give you some better information.

donroberto

Here are some pics

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Do you have any pictures of the rust or bottom side?
    Looks like a nice car

donroberto

No. Those are the pics I took the 1st time I looked at it. Owner wants 15 grands for it. It seems like too steep.

jensenracing77
    Participant

In my opinion, half that much would be on the high side. I didn’t even pay that for my 100% rust free original paint car. Not saying that is not a nice car but not nice enough for that kind of money. Does this car run and drive?

oaklyss
    Participant

What state is the car in?

62turbojet
    Participant

Its worth what it’s worth to you.You can’t always put a price on your hobbies and passions because then they just become about money. Looks like an incredibly well preserved barn find, one of the best i’ve seen yet. Plus being a factory 4 speed car is huge. Supposedly they only made around 50 of them in 62 and that is one of them. Probably the first and last time you will ever come across a factory 4 speed 62.

Looks like an awesome car and if I were in your position and had the money id buy it in a heartbeat and bring it back to running driving factory condition.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I am going to add more to this. I have posted like I have because I already know this car. I was trying to buy the car and thought I was going to be able to get it at a price but the guy all of the sudden thought it was worth way more. From the condition of the bottom side and the rust issues I do not believe this car is worth even close to what he is now asking. I believe the date of the engine is newer than the car so it was replaced but was replaced with another Jetfire engine. We know the turbo was replaced because it is not a red one. With the engine likely replaced, I wonder about it being an original 4 speed car. It very well may be but there is no protect o plate to prove it.

I am sorry for my “somewhat” biased posts above but I hate to see someone over pay for this car and I would still be interested in it. If the current owner wants to sell it to me for the earlier price I will still likely buy it. If he can get more then so be it.

The biggest thing is that if you do buy this car we will be more than happy to help you with any questions you have.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum