water temperature controll valve

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts water temperature controll valve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

Well I found my leak. I have searched online, and have only found rebuild servicrs. Anyone know where I can find one.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

If you found a NOS one you would probably want to rebuild it anyway since the seals would be dried out. Had mine rebuilt by OldAir. Be careful pulling out the temp sensor, it’s a capillary tube and once cracked or broken it’s done. On the other hand the valve functions perfectly well without this early and not so effective temp control function.

captiannapalm
    Participant

Is this ok to drive. I was going to take it to a show this weekend. Any risk of over heating?

jensenracing77
    Participant

I have one that I picked up a while back. Came with a receipt that it was sent to Fusick back in 2000. It was rebuilt but I have never had it in a car to test it. I would let it go for 75% of whatever they charge for the rebuild now.

captiannapalm
    Participant

I’d still be looking at a rebuild

jensenracing77
    Participant

This one was rebuilt already

captiannapalm
    Participant

how hard is this to replace

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

If you cut the capillary tube and take the valve off it’s easy, which is of course sacrilege. If you want to keep the capillary tube in place on the valve you need to remove the heater box with the heater core as the capillary tube is behind the core and you can’t get it out without removing the heater box from the eng compartment. I other words, a pain in the ass.

captiannapalm
    Participant

I unwound the tube from the one i got at the junkyard. They didnt charge me for it. The nice thing was the motor was out of the car. what does that tube do?

kid442
    Participant

The tube has Mercury in it so if you cut it wear gloves. Not the best stuff to get on you.
    Ken

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum