wiper wiring digram for 62 cutlass

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts wiper wiring digram for 62 cutlass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

looking for the order of the wiring on the wiper motor for my 62 cutlass. there is green and purple on one connector, and red on the other. on the switch there is red on a single connector, then green and white on the other . the previous owner just had a toggle switch.

JimNoel
    Participant

Here is a pic of my wiring for a ’62 with 2 speed wipers and no washer.
    The second pic (red firewall) is a ’62 with 2 speed wipers with washer.
    The purple is also wired up to the washer pump with the addition of a light yellow wire from the harness.
    For either option it is left to right, looking at the system, red/pink, purple then green to the wiper motor.

Attachments:
    kels
    Participant

With 2 speed wiper , the single red goes on the outside of the wiper motor.. It is the switch for the speeds.. purple in the middle (power feed from the switch)

Be careful… The ground is connected via the switch itself, without the switch being grounded, the motor will not turn on.

captiannapalm
    Participant

That first pic looks different than what I have going to the motor. The red is by itself, and the purple and green are on the other. then on the switch end I have a single red, the green and white on the other connector. I will try to post pics later, but this is a start . thank you.

captiannapalm
    Participant

JimNoel

Thanx the second pic looks close to mine.Will keep you informed.

captiannapalm
    Participant

well to no avail……I know the motor works checked it before I took the toggle out. just put a new fuse in.still nothing the previous owner had a wire going to the + and the – then the toggle……is there only the 3 wires going into the switch? because on the switch I have red white and green, but purple on the motor…….Oh how I hate electrical……

captiannapalm
    Participant

grounded how? the green wire ? When I just checked for voltage, and everything seemed good the switch itself touched the under side of the dash itself and they worked checked again it worked, but when its not touching the dash it does not work.

kels
    Participant

Correct.. the switch MUST be grounded or you can not complete the circuit. The purple wire is the 12V Feed.. the switch completes the the circuit based on which speed you are running. So the switch MUST be ground to the SAME ground as the motor or it will not turn on.. Very important IF bench testing.. you have to jumper the switch to the motor.. If not bench testing make sure the motor is still grounded as well as the switch.. The other wire at the switch is speed selection…

captiannapalm
    Participant

so how is the switch grounded? the green wire right? looking at everything, I do not see any other wires that are not connected except a grey wire but that looks to be for something else. all I know is my comet isn’t this complicated.

JimNoel
    Participant

The ground for this electrical circuit is made by the switch being secured to the metal dash board panel. There is NOT a “wire” that makes the ground for this circuit. Both the wiper motor and switch complete the electrical circuit to ground through the metal parts of the body. For this electrical circuit, the firewall and dash panel. The metal of the entire car is the route to an electrical ground. If your wiper switch is mounted through the hole in the dash for the switch and you have secured the switch with the nut and washer to the dash, the ground part of the circuit should be completed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum