You might want to consider restitching it. I reused my headliner because the pattern on the replacement material that SMS and others have doesn’t match the original pattern. My stitching showed signs of deterioration. I left it in place and hand restitched at all the bows using 10 lb. monofilament fishing line. I had to do a lot of stretching to get mine to fit again. It was difficult even when using a hair dryer to warm up the material. With all of the tugging I had to do I think the original stitches would have torn. Mine had some rust stains that I couldn’t remove so I ended up spraying it with just enough coats of vinyl dye (paint) to have even color but not too many coats so that the pattern showed through well. The coating I used was made by SEM, Super White #15103 and it matched very closely to the cleaned up original. I did this in 2009 and it still looks good today.