Reply To: Re: Buick 215 and a turbo

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Buick 215 and a turbo Reply To: Re: Buick 215 and a turbo

62oldsf85
Participant

My car (see 62OldsF85 blue convert pics) had a Buick 215 in it when I bought it. I rebuilt an Olds Jetfire motor, removed the Buick 215 and put in the Olds Jetfire 215. Before I put in the Olds motor, I converted to an ’62 Olds T-10 4 speed, so I have some knowledge on that end, too. When I had the Buick motor in, I converted it from a two barrel (155 hp original Special engine) to a four barrel with an Olds manifold and carb. Everything lined up fine and worked fine. Got some nice pop horsepower out of that.

However, I wouldn’t suggest strapping the turbo setup onto the Buick motor. Internally the Olds turbo block (having stripped mine down and compared), is way more stout, and the mains have longer bolt holes and bolts. Running mine now, the turbo causes a lot of pressure and heat, especially. So much so that this motor spun a rod (a common problem, I think, on these engines), blew up a piston and threw it through the block sometime in its life before I rebuilt it. Also, having had some issues with a lifter and a few pushrods once I built my engine and having had to remove my valve covers a few more times than I’d like to admit, that passenger’s side valve cover is engineered to work a certain way and I can’t see duplicating that. Olds valve covers don’t fit on Buick 215’s, so don’t bother with that.

I’d say source an Olds turbo block with heads and a missing turbo. It shouldnt be that expensive and then you’d have the right stuff.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum