215 overheating issue

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 215 overheating issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    63F85Wagon

Hello everyone. For the past 17 years my family has owned a 1963 OLdsmobile f-85 station wagon. I know that they did not make a turbocharged wagon that year (i wish they had), but my car did have the high po 215. Anyway we traded that motor for a rebuilt 215 buick motor that was decently built up. That shot a push rod out about a year and a half ago, and locked the motor up (motors fine now turns out). I bought the car from my dad then, and got a 2 barrel 215 off of ebay for a good price. The motor is now in the car, but my problem is that after about 10 minutes of idling the motor starts to overheat. At first we thought it was a stuck thermostat, so we took that out, no luck. When the motor went in we put a fresh fuel pump on it. The one thing I did change on the motor before it went in that was sort of major was putting the old 4 barrel intake manifold on it. It still has the two barrel heads on it, and I have 4 barrel heads in the garage, and I was wondering if the water jackets are different on the two heads, or if its another issue. I know it sounds awful to swap a buick 215 into a high po wagon, but the car is also a traditional custom. It doesn’t have door handles anymore, its got jaguar headlights, and a host of other mods. Oh yeah, its a factory ac car as well. One day I would love to get the turbocharger setup for it.

JimNoel
    Participant

After seeing no response to your question, I thought I would let you know that the intake manifolds that fit the 215 blocks are all the same. This is NOT your overheating problem. I would check out the radiator next. They have a tendency to plug up and need to be cleaned, channel by channel, with a flat rod, both tanks removed. A boil-out cleaning job will NOT do the trick! A re-core will do the trick too, just more $’s!
    I have built a “Jetfire wagon” fun! You can build one too. Have fun………..
    Jim

63F85Wagon

Thank you so much for the response! Thats music to my ears, I was afraid I was gonna have to go through the motor, instead of simply working on the radiator.

thomas
    Participant

It’s incredible to hear about your family’s enduring ownership of the 1963 Oldsmobile F-85 station wagon! Nostalgic cars like these hold a special place in our hearts. Your knowledge and passion for engines are commendable. Suppose you need assistance with a digital marketing dissertation writer to help promote your classic car story or share your automotive expertise. In that case, I’d be glad to recommend some reliable professionals. Wishing you many more exciting adventures with your beloved wagon! Keep reviving its glory and sharing your journey with fellow enthusiasts.
    https://www.onlinedissertationhelp.com/dissertation/digital-marketing-dissertation-help/

allenwood
    Participant

Relevant Vapes introduces “Future Bar” a captivating and sophisticated vaping experience. This unique e-liquid blend seamlessly marries the rich essence of lost crops with Mary Jane’s botanical finesse. The result is a harmonious fusion that tantalizes the senses with its aromatic bouquet and balanced flavor profile. Future Bar by Relevant Vapes is a testament to the brand’s commitment to delivering exceptional vaping pleasure, offering enthusiasts a distinctive and memorable journey through every inhale. Immerse yourself in the world of Future Bar and elevate your vaping experience with this exceptional creation from Relevant Vapes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum