63 F85 Hydramatic problem

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 63 F85 Hydramatic problem

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    oldster44
    Participant

Hi Guys, great site, can’t believe I haven’t found it before!
    I am the proud owner of a 63 F-85 convertable with the hydramatic. I love this car, it gets lots of looks wherever I go, drives great, but I am having a problem with first gear in my hydramatic. The symptom is that it slips if you give it too much gas from a standing start, just like you are pushing the clutch in and slipping it, as if it was a manual. If you feather it from a start you can get going, and as soon as it shifts into second it’s fine, no slipping. No slipping in third either.
    I know these transmissions are a different animal, expensive, and harder to work on. I can’t afford to rebuild this transmission right now, but I do not want to park it for the season either:( Anybody know if the first gear of this transmission can be repaired or perhaps adjusted?
    Any Hydramatic guru’s out there??? Anybody know one???
    Thanks guys!

oaklyss
    Participant

First try to shorten your TV rod. If that doesn’t work, drop the pan and adjust the band. The adjuster is located under the filter. Get a manual, it tells how to do these things.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum