Cutlass Manual Steering

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Cutlass Manual Steering

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I have a 62 Convertible with the original manual steering. Never driven this one or any other 61-63 F85 with manual steering and I am wondering what it is like. I have a 64 Chevelle that had a manual box (now a 12:1 AGR power box) and it was quite heavy in a tight turnaround back and fill situation at 6.5 turns lock to lock. Hoping the lighter Cutlass will be better and good on the road as I like the manual feel going up a windy road.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the manual steering performance and are there any quicker ratios available for the box-I think its either 22:1 or 24:1. I will say that little aluminum box sure looks good.

young_olds
    Participant

i doubt there are any boxes made for them. I had a 62 with manual steering and it steered perfectly fine for me even at a stop or low speed. i daily drove a 62 nova with manual steering for a while and actually like manual so i may be biased.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I too like the manual steering, especially vs. the old over boosted pwr boxes. I do have a local rebuilder that will freshen it up if needed. Hope the gears are tight.

joe_padavano
    Participant

The steering box is unique to the 1961-63 cars and nothing else interchanges, so there are no aftermarket close ratio boxes. I have manual steering in my 62 wagon and other than the fact that it takes about a million turns lock-to-lock, I have no problems with it. I’ve installed an aftermarket wood steering wheel that is actually slightly larger in diameter than stock, so that helps a little, too.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I’ll just plan to keep my elbows in control. As long as the gears aren’t worn too much it should be good on the road.

Happy new year

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum