Heater control valve

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Heater control valve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dufus
    Participant

Would like to replace the heater control valve on a 62 F- 85. Anyone know how difficult it is to do ? The copper tube is my main concern. What all has to come apart ? Previous owner cut the tube !
    Thanks !

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I believe you will need to remove the heater box with core in order to remove the valve. It has the temp sensor attached to it with the copper wire that goes inside the box and onto the back side of the core. I had mine rebuilt by Old Air and didn’t get into it so I don’t know if that connection is something that can be disconnected inside the valve, would be nice if it is.
    I guess if you don’t care about the “automatic” temperature holding feature of the valve you could cut the sensor wire and leave it in place while just removing the valve which I believe will function in a fully manual mode without the sensor wire.
    Someone here must know more.

dufus
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I think you are correct about having to remove quite a bit of stuff to it correctly. I think I will remove the control valve and see if there is a reason why there isn’t much heat. The tube is already cut so no loss there. Thanks again !

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Oh, that is the tube you were taking about. I thought you meant the actual heater hose connection but had second thoughts after I posted.

Is that an actual capillary tube or just a thick copper wire that transfers heat?

dufus
    Participant

Looks like just a copper wire , I did splice it back together , not sure if it’s really needed . Cleaned and soaked the valve , got it working . Have heat now . Thanks again !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum