i should introduce myself

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts i should introduce myself

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I am new to the Jetfire but not new to Oldsmobile’s. i got my first car in 1990. it was a Rallye 350 and i still have it. around 2002 my wife and i got a 62 Dynamic 88 and loved it. we decided to sell it in 2003 to find a 62 Starfire but after selling the 88 we could never afford the Starfire. back around July area i showed my wife a picture of a 62 F-85 Cutlass. she instantly fell in love with it. the Dynamic 88 we had was a red interior and she said the F-85 had to be also. she also wanted a white top. well, we looked till now to find her a 62 with the Cutlass option with nice red interior. i figured i would have to build one to fit her description but when we found this one we both fell in love. it is not a perfect car but it sure is unmolested. i am looking forward to driving it this summer.

Jetfire 1

Jetfire 2

Jetfire 3

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Welcome to the forum! That’s a great looking Jetfire. Does it have a working turbocharger?

jensenracing77
    Participant

the turbo is all there but it is not working. i sell Oldsmobile parts on the side and if i can do good this year i will have Jim rebuilt it for me. does anyone know if it will hurt the turbo worse by driving it. the car came with an extra turbo but i don’t really want to put it on. it is all original. the head number matches the protect-o-plate and all. also, does anyone know when they started production on these cars. this is a 5th week in May build date. it was sold in NY on June 18 1962.

jetfire4

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

I don’t know the exact date they started production but the Jetfire was introduced mid-way through the 1962 year. You probably have one of the earliest cars.

This engine has very high compression for a turbocharged engine (10.25:1)and was meant to run with the alcohol/water injection system to stop detonation. I would’t run it if it were mine, at least not hard. I was told by a machinist that detonation (knocking) is muffled somewhat by an aluminum block versus a cast iron one. You could be doing damage you may not know about yet. On the other hand if the turbo isn’t building any boost, you are basically running normally a aspirated engine with a one-barrel carburetor through a turbo that isn’t turning. I’m sure it’s not very efficient but shouldn’t be detonating under those circumstances. I wouldn’t think it would be doing any damage to the turbo itself though. Maybe Jim Noel or someone else could give you a better answer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum