14" wheels & exhaust system availability

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 14" wheels & exhaust system availability

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sixtiesmuscle
    Participant

Hi all, I’m new to the site, and recently purchased a ’62 Cutlass. I have been trying to locate sources for 14″ wheels and an exhaust system for my car. It is not a Jetfire, but it is a four speed, so I want to get it ready for some Summer cruising with larger wheels, new tires, and an exhaust system that isn’t so noisy. Thanks, Mike

JimNoel
    Participant

There has been 5, 14″ wheels for sale in the classifieds, call to see if still available.
    Exhaust system or parts available at Waldron Exhaust
    http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=61_49_84

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

There are few and getting fewer tire selections for 14″ wheels.. I went with 15″ steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques with the 4 lug pattern and am using 205 x 65 tires to keep the size in the somewhat classic style, lots of small cars (Honda Accord, camry…) use the size and tires should be available for a long time, could go bigger if you want. Centerline also offers 15″ and I believe 16″ alum wheels in 4 lug, a couple of styles are “classic”, expensive but they are very nice wheels. One of the F85s options was 15″ wheels too. Can’t use stock hub caps though.

Saw a Waldron exhaust for a Jetfire, very nice.

sixtiesmuscle
    Participant

Thanks much to both of you for such rapid responses. Those are great suggestions, so I will follow up.

sixtiesmuscle
    Participant

Another question; has anyone tried using the billet adapters to convert to 5 on 4/34 bolt pattern to use more readily available 6″ GM wheels. If so, any suggestion on what backspacing will work?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I am not familiar with the adapters and wonder if you could give us some info on them. Sounds interesting. I imagine the manufacturer can help out with the increased backspacing requirement.
    Thanks.

sixtiesmuscle
    Participant

When I was unable to find any correct 14″ wheels, I ordered a pair of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371436895851.

I won’t be able to try them for a couple of weeks, but I will report back when I do. Thanks

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Took a look, says 2″ thick, my guess is a custom wheel with 2″ more backspacing, which Wheel Vintiques could do, but I have no experience. If you don’t move the wheel center back in I would think there would be significant increased stress on the spindle and bearings.

sixtiesmuscle
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll be careful in checking fitment.

sixtiesmuscle
    Participant

Just an update. I bought the wheels from the member here who had them advertised, and ordered an exhaust system from Waldon. Thanks to all for the help. The project is taking shape. Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum