vacuum line on exhaust manifold

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts vacuum line on exhaust manifold

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

Where does the vacuum line go that comes off the rear of the passenger side exhaust manifold. I am not refering to the choke tube. This comes off the back and has vacuum pressure. it would be nice if I could post a picture but the file is too big.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Exhaust manifold won’t have vacuum.

captiannapalm
    Participant

Well this does. I will try to get a puc that works

captiannapalm
    Participant

I guess its called a road draft tube?

joe_padavano
    Participant

The choke hot air tube has vacuum from the carb. That’s how the heated air gets pulled past the choke coil. The other end of that stove in the exhaust manifold is obviously also going to have vacuum, since air has to be pulled into the stove to be heated before it goes to the choke coil. It’s all the same tube.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Joe you’re right, the carb choke of that type pulls vacuum. Your description is correct.
    However, the exhaust manifold isn’t pulling or have vacuum, the carb is pulling vacuum. The exhaust manifold tube simply provides heated air for the carb vacuum.

captiannapalm
    Participant

The choke tube is in place. This is another line that runs in the back of the engine bay behind the pass. side head and into the exhaust manifold.

captiannapalm
    Participant

This is the line in question if the pic loaded

Attachments:
    joe_padavano
    Participant

“Joe you’re right, the carb choke of that type pulls vacuum. Your description is correct.
    However, the exhaust manifold isn’t pulling or have vacuum, the carb is pulling vacuum. The exhaust manifold tube simply provides heated air for the carb vacuum.”

I thought that’s what I said. The tube in the hot air stove simply passes through the manifold casting. One end connects to the carb and sees manifold vacuum. The other end is the inlet for that vacuum source. I never said the exhaust manifold was producing vacuum.

joe_padavano
    Participant

“This is the line in question if the pic loaded”

Any chance of a photo that’s in focus and zoomed out a little so we can see what’s going on?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum