XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog Display engine project

Display engine project

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Display engine project

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  macf85 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jensenracing77
    Participant

I start entirely to many projects when I need to finish a couple old ones…. I picked this engine up last year near St Louis. I took all the good parts off of it already so I decided to make a display engine with what is left. This engine will be built from almost all junk parts. The heads are likely rebuildable but some of the head bolts broke off when trying to pull the heads. They are frozen in the heads and I can’t get the heads off. The block may be rebuildable but the pistons are all stuck and likely rusted between the head and the pistons because it sit with no spark plugs in it for decades. The intake is off of our 4 speed car and was eat up from bad antifreeze. The timing cover has a crack and the list can go on with all the junk parts going on it. Even the turbo system I will put together for it will be made of mostly junk parts. Since this engine is never going to run again, I am just painting the turbo red with regular gloss red paint.

The engine I was using for a display is a good complete engine and I plan to do something else with it in the future.

Attachments:

jensenracing77
    Participant

I am almost done with this display engine. I did not go overboard with the little details, Just wanted to have the general turbo system installed. I have more to do but I will not likely install the plug wires, coil, or other non turbo related items. I will need to get some decals for the air cleaner also. After this, I need to make some kind of roll around stand for it.

Attachments:

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    Looking good! Will be fun to display at car shows. Here is a picture of the carts that the Oldsmobile GM Heritage Center built for their display engines. The engines could be rolled around but might be a little tipsy for transporting?

Attachments:

jensenracing77
    Participant

Well, the engine is nearly ready for the MCACN show. I decided to put it all the way together with the accessories. I have no junk plug wires that I can use. I am thinking I am going to have to buy a new set to put on it. I can always swap them out later when I get a junk set to use.

I also had a friend weld up a roll around stand for it. I just don’t have a way to lock it from moving. I will take a rug to set it on to keep it from moving.

Attachments:

captiannapalm
    Participant

missing the power steering pump.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I don’t plan on a power steering pump but I will put good plug wires on it and detail the coil better.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Got the generator and fan on. All I need are plug wires. I may put a Turbo Rocket Fluid filter on it. I would still like to put a tank on it but don’t have time to make a bracket to hold it on.

Attachments:

macf85
    Participant

Nice job Eric! General Motors would be proud of that display.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recently Active

Profile picture of oaklyss
Profile picture of barry
Profile picture of deucephaeton
Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of kid442
Profile picture of johnsage
Profile picture of ncuevas79
Profile picture of doctorg
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of BruceM
Profile picture of mikepoe59