Lost oil pressure

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I parked the 4 speed car last Fall and all was good. I started it up the other day and the oil pressure light did not go out. I turned it off and checked the connection at the sending unit and was good. I started it again and had a little lifter noise so I turned it back off. I am almost sure it has no oil pressure but not had time to look deeper. With this oil pump so far away and then sitting for 4 months I am wondering if it lost its prime? Has anyone had this problem before? I am going to pull the bottom off the oil pump and pack it with lithium grease and see what happens.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Could be. Recommendation is Vasoline not lithium. Factory and TA PERFORMANCE who build the 215 for performance and racing say vasoline.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I just pulled the turbo supply line off and poured a 1/2 cup of oil down the tube hoping it would get the pump to prime. I started it up and no luck! I am not going to start it again. I just have to pull the pump and distributor and get it going again.

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    I have not lost oil pressure on any of 11, F-85 over the 57 years of owning the these little cars. A couple have been stored for up to 8 years without starting, but never lost oil pressure when I did start them up. Lost fuel several times but never oil. There is a problem hiding there…….

jensenracing77
    Participant

I just can’t understand why it was fine when parked and then no oil pressure the next time it started. Nothing mechanical could have went bad I don’t believe. I will get the oil pump apart and the distributor out of it and see what I can do with it. I really wanted to drive it a couple hundred miles before I take the car apart in July. I will keep you posted on what I find.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Good news, I pulled the distributor and before pulling the oil pump apart I tried to prime with a drill. It took a minute but it primed up. Put the distributor back in it and fired up and the oil light went out. As long as it is ok till after Homecoming then I will be happy. I am rebuilding it when I restore the car.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum