Carpeting for a 1963 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Carpeting for a 1963 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    graytoad
    Participant

So I am restoring a 1963 F85 Jetfire with 4 on the floor. There is NO carpet made for this car and the automatic hump is much smaller so that carpet will not squeeze on from what I have been told. PLUS the red they offer is a bright red and our carpet is a Maroon or dark red.
    In 64 they offer carpeting for a 4 speed in Maroon. The 64 is a bigger car, I am assuming wider – width can be trimmed off! The carpet ACC shows is a 2 piece set, has the same lumpy looking hump with the big chunk on the left side.
    Has anyone here either tried installing a 64 carpet set OR has anyone talked to ACC about dimensions etc and discovered it is a NO-GO?

captiannapalm
    Participant

Have you checked out Stock Interiors?… Just looked it up. They offer maroon

jensenracing77
    Participant

I have not found a good carpet set for these cars yet that I am happy with. I no longer even try. I only restore the original carpet. If it is not completely rotten then clean it really well. I even pressure wash them and keep it in the sun to dry for a few days. When it is really clean just use SEM fabric paint on it. It takes nearly a full can to do a carpet. You have to do it from a couple angles and thin coats. Turns out like new. If there are wear spots on the drive side carpet, I find original floor mats and cover it up. I am not at all happy with the replacements that I have looked at.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

ACC is the manufacturer and their carpet is sold by Resellers at about 1/2 the price that ACC sells for. For example: ACC sells the 63 Jetfire carpet at $351 and Stock Interiors sells the very same carpet made by ACC, shipped from ACC, in an ACC box for $183. Same options, material, color choice. OC is a little cheaper still I think.

Like a lot of manufactures that have resellers. ACC sells at the highest price and trade on their name while not undercutting their resellers. Also, all the molded carpet sellers I called sell ACC carpet. Seems ACC has cornered the market and bought out other manufactures. Ask the reseller and they will tell you it’s ACC carpet or even be advertising it on their website.

I have a post on the second page I think with a picture of the carpet I got for my 62 Cutlass from Stock Interiors. Picture is the box it came in, an ACC box.

I had no carpet at all so had no choice but to buy carpet. That being said I also did not find the maroon dark enough to match the carpet at the bottom of my orig cherry door panels. (Not supposed to be carpet but that’s another story.

Cant you just slit the carpet under the console so that it sits down in the footwell? Won’t see it under the console. I’ve seen that technique on orig carpets before.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Also, QuietRide in Stockton calif sell a variety of precut kits of sound deadening and heat shielding products for these cars. Both invisible under carpet stuff, doors, and and visible like trunk and hood insulation.

They had several F85 models to make templates from. I used their PVC firewall insulation piece and it fit great.

I had no insulation or carpet or padding left in this car thanks to 40 years in a barn with the usual suspects crawling around borrowing or using material for nests.

graytoad
    Participant

thanks for the leads guys!

felixjgarcia
    Participant

Sandy I got a carpet fro acc reality is the carpet don’t fit great the one for auto trans they offer is too big on the hump they offer the marron color and it’s very close to factory at one time my great friend ken Denison told me he did use a 4 door carpet because it fit better on the 4 speed I never tried that way I been tempted to order me one and try it I try to deal with the carpet fit but I am not an interior guy I did on a hurry trying to go to the nats in pa 2 years back that’s another pending detail on my ride but I’ll wait till replace the whole interior good luck

macf85
    Participant

I got a set on ebay in 2007 for my ’63 Cutlass 4-speed car. Trim Parts, Inc. had a store on there at the time but I don’t know who the actual manufacturer was. It was $115 for the set. The rear fit perfect. The front fit well except for the transmission tunnel area. I converted my car from automatic trans to 4-speed and have both styles of trans. tunnel metal stampings. The carpet didn’t fit either one. It was too big for the auto trans tunnel. There was enough material to cover the 4-speed tunnel but the molded shape would not lay totally flat. I sliced it in a couple places to make it fit a little better but it is still puckered up a bit on the right side of the tunnel. Mine is black so it’s not real noticeable unless you focus on it. I wonder what they were using for the mold to make the carpet?

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Finally getting around to installing my carpet. Didn’t realize it until I took a look at a friends coupe but There’s a big difference to stock. I know those of you who have done carpet must know this and wonder if I have the right carpet and if so how did you handle it?

Stock In the coupe,pictures att, and another parts car convertible we have is a two piece carpet set with some finish trimmed edges with sewn “tape” where front piece overlaps and “trims” the rear piece. It has a full relief for the console, just tucking under the bottom edge and not going over the top at all. There is no full carpeting under the seat, seats bolt to the steel, not through the carpet.

The carpet ACC supplied is a big one piece of carpet that covers front and rear including under seats, over top of console area …

Pics are full set, rear, and the front rotated 180 out from the rear. The round relief being the steering column. Showing the big gap for the center console on auto floor console

Looks like the Trim Parts carpet set above is two piece?

So did they send the wrong carpet or is that what you have to deal with?

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

So with further inspection looks like the original carpets are a “cut and sewn” product with maybe molding on the rear piece for the driveline hump.

Checked the new carpet set That came from SMS for another car here and I was in error saying it was molded and ACC. That info was from speaking with SMS. But it is not molded. The rear piece has two sewn in seams to cause a fit to the driveline tunnel rather than molded. It has sewn trimmed edges where appropriate to overlap/trim the rear set. It is continuous over the tranny hump, absent under much of the seat. Lots of trimming required to duplicate factory set, but will be very close once fitted.

Trim Parts evidently sold their carpet div to ACC so that is not an option For cut and sewn since ACC doesn’t show any cut and sewn option, bought them to do away with competition I guess and did away the option.

Will be talking with ACC Monday.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum